Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt commodore seat cushion broken

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Hi driving home tonight the butt cushion spring gave out, when I had z look under the seat I could see the spring at the front were fine but the black strip in the back has broken off, anyone know how to fix it ?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
if its something simple.... a part of a chair from a wrecker

is it motorised ?

motor trimmer would probably want to undo some fabric and strengthen the base what ever

dont know what a chair costs

found some commadore wreckers on gumtree

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I am just pulling this thread out after some years because I have just been through this.

Initially I just thought I would need a new seat and would have to settle for different fabric since mine was rare ( Olympic edition )
Then I realised it was not a spring per se that is broken but a fabric piece ( as mentioned by the original poster ) with a black plastic or rubber that has actually broken / snapped through. I would best describe this as a sling under tension than a spring.

So off I went to the self serve wreckers , in Adelaide we have " U Pull It " and these places are bloody great because you get to dismantle **** and see how it works before you bust your own car up. If you bust something you just move on to the next VT in line and there are heaps of VT's.
Needless to say I learned how to remove a Vt seat, where the wiring is, how the trim is pulled off etc. Tip. Go remove the part from the passengers side of the car you chose, it will have been used less than the drivers side.
I laid the seat down on the ground outside the car and removed the "sling" with a bit of force it must be said with a screwdriver. There are 4 hoocks under high tension on each side. It only took a few minutes but it wasn't exactly easy. Purchased "sling" cost me $9.

Back home I went and with the new understanding of how it came apart I took my chair out and thoroughly cleaned it, so much gunk.
Anyhow, the installation of the sling is 100% MUCH harder than the removal. I did achieve it with the help of my wife and some improvisation.

If you come to this part and get frustrated because you can't put the hooks in I'm here to help by PM.

Basically without having don a YouTube or taken photos you do this
Put the rear 4 hooks in first and do not loose tension on them, you'll see how many swear words you can yell today if you keep going back to the beginning when one pops out.
The 4 last hooks towards the front of the seat are almost impossible by hand, in fact I'd say impossible with hand tools.
I used the old sling hooks and rod to hook in reverse fashion to the rod I was trying to torque downwards. Then I had grabbed a 6 foot post hole digger to get massive leverage downwards from above. While I was making this pressure my partner was able to use hand toold to guide the hooks , one by one into the holes. If that sounds hard it is, very hard but I could easily do it again now that I have done it once. That's why I say if you need more details PM me.

I hope this helps someone, you don't have to drive around feeling like your ass in on the floor :)