Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT crank sensor changed 3 times, still stalling

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Im working on a VT for a mate.

Hes changed the crank sensor 3 times over the last year. The last change was 3 days ago! Still stalling.

He took it to a mechanic the other day to have his idler tensioner changed. They rang him and said it wont start! They changed the crank sensor and it started. Only lasted a day before it started stalling. Hadnt done a crank sensor beofre this for a year.

Getting code 49 cam or cank sensor intermittant.

Changed the DFI, connector looks good, changed the coils too.

He's tried water on the sensor while its hot to no avail. Sometimes even when its dead cold it wont start. Its hit and miss.

Ive cleared the codes, started the car, waited till its stopped and checked the codes and it still comes up with 49.

Havent changed the cam sensor.

Buggered if i know, any ideas before i start lending him money to buy sensors lol?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'd be looking at the wiring to that sensor, particularly the plug, it might not be making good contact after a while.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen bad earths cause similar problems too. Make sure that the all engine earths are clean and tight. The ECU earths are located at the rear of the passenger side head and at the front of the engine block on the belt tensioner/heater outlet pipe studs. The main engine block earth is located near the drivers side engine mounting. Also check the main body earth which is located near the battery, just follow the lead along from the negative terminal.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi see my thred Bones308
changed three CAS one CAM sensor ,coil pack ,new fuses plus relays

car stilling stalling next was the FUEL PUMP problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the fuel pump was shorting out when wiring heated up, once it cooled down 3-5 mins it would startup drive

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive seen bad earths cause similar problems too. Make sure that the all engine earths are clean and tight. The ECU earths are located at the rear of the passenger side head and at the front of the engine block on the belt tensioner/heater outlet pipe studs. The main engine block earth is located near the drivers side engine mounting. Also check the main body earth which is located near the battery, just follow the lead along from the negative terminal.

Hmmm, its funny how theres an earth right near the belt tensioner. The belt tensioner is what the stupid mechanic changed. I'll check it out.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi see my thred Bones308
changed three CAS one CAM sensor ,coil pack ,new fuses plus relays

car stilling stalling next was the FUEL PUMP problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the fuel pump was shorting out when wiring heated up, once it cooled down 3-5 mins it would startup drive

Yes but its throwing an error code for the CAS.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
same as what I had, CAS error but it was the FUEL PUMP!