Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Ecotec sump plug size?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I need to change my oil tomorrow and I am away from home and I don't have my toolboxes with me, I'll need to buy a spanner or socket and ratchet.

Its 19mm from memory but I'm not 100% sure, is that right?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
buy a new sump plug while you're at it. If you're still using the original it's probably rounded off to heck by now.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I have been useing a 13mm ringy for the last 12 years on my original '97 VT 6 sump plug !

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have been useing a 13mm ringy for the last 12 years on my original '97 VT 6 sump plug !

Its 19mm, I bought a spanner and it fits fine although I rounded it to hell cos it its hard to keep straight.

It took about a hour and a half being gentile with it then after getting frustrated I used some force and it slipped off every time, I was going to go look for some multi grips but I didnt want to re-use a rooted plug so I called it a day then went and bought a new a new plug for tomorrow. Including going and getting the stuff needed from the city its 6 hours for nothing today.

Last time was easy though with 2 people, one to push the spanner on square and the other to turn it.

I cant work out why the sump plug only has about 3mm of head on it and spanners taper in 2mm before its the right size, so trying to un-do it with 1mm of the spanner making contact with a nut that is soft as lead.

Anyway, a bit pissed with todays effort but tomorrow should be quick if I can find some multi grips.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Makes me even more pleased that my old girl was fitted with a plug with a 13mm head on it that protrudes out far enough for the ring spanner to fully slide on. I have changed the oil well over a dozen times over the years and the plug still looks new.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Anyway, a bit pissed with todays effort but tomorrow should be quick if I can find some multi grips.

Better get some small stilsons (pipe wrench). You'll bust your knuckles with multi grips for sure.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi
repco where 100% my VT1999 V6 it was a 13mm plug, after buying a new plug ready for a oil change
guess what its a 19mm??????????

Pedros

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vommodore VT Wagon
Now you should know what the letters REPCO stand for :surprise:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina