Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT front brakes on rear???

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Just wondering if anyone has put VT front brakes (rotors and calipers) on the rear of their vr/vs?

I currently have VT calipers and slotted rotors on front and standard vr rear with slotter rotors and they just dont cut the mustard for stopping power with this much power.

Im thinking about either upgrading to 4 pot r33 brakes, 4 pot hsv brakes or 8 pot D2 brakes on the front and would be awesome if it is at all possible use the existing front vt brakes on the rear.

Let me know if you guys have ever done or seen it before/what's necessary

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I'm assume you must be aware that sort of mod. will need to be engineered properly and approved by your NSW authority.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah im not really worried about that, its hardly the biggest mod on the car lol but yes, theroretically i know i should...

Just wanna know if it possible/relatively easy

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i dont see why not.
may need a few mods such as brackets but could work.

why not, if putting say the bigger fronts go for the same brand/look rear
as they could have a readymade kit for them.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
The ratio of volume between the master cyl & Caliper needs to be right or they will not be of any benefit, have a look at some other threads, there are better options out there. :)

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
if you are going to be putting them on a ute you will need this:
Holden Live Axle Hand/Park Brake Adaptors

It allows you to fit the VT brakes over the hand brake that sits inside the caliper.
That kit goes for around $350 and you need to buy them off their ebay store. At the moment they dont have any but I will probably end up emailing about when they will have more.

I also got a quote from harrop a while back for much the same kit but manufactured and supplied by harrop:

Are you are looking to adapt VT-VZ brakes to the rear of an earlier model Commodore? If so, we do still offer the backing plate modification to allow caliper mounting and handbrake shoe function.

This modification is priced at $698.50inc GST

You will need to inspect the vehicles current fitted backing plates for the following details
Cable pulls from bottom - 74mm centre hole diameter
Cable pulls from top - 66.3mm centre hole diameter
Cable pulls from top - 74mm centre hole diameter

At the moment im also trying to work out if its worthwhile doing the rear upgrade when i do the front upgrade.

Also Race Brakes sydney sell a Brake Booster Conversion Kit, which is a VT booster and master cylinder modified to fit pre vt commodores:
COMMODORE BRAKE BOOSTER CONVERSION KIT VB VH VL VR 2 VT | eBay

Since you already have VT brakes on the front i imagine you already have the hub spacer ring on the front so you wont be needing that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Front brakes do about 90% of the work. IF you over brake the rear, the rears will lock and you'll be facing the wrong way quickly.

VT front callipers on the rear is a fail. Maybe upgrade to the later model rears but that's about it unless you fit monster front rotors/callipers.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
As above.

IF you can get the hydraulic ratio correct, it's a great way to make the car swap ends when you hit the brakes.

As you have a ute (going of your avatar), you really need hardly any rear brake bias at all.
I would get rid of the VT setup you have on the front and go with something that works.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the thourough info guys. Im going to eventually get some monster front brakes, most probs 8 piston d2's. I was just wondering if it was possible as i'd have them left over and could put them to use, but after reading about the rear locking up and the biasing etc... not keen for that at all haha

And as for the modified master cylinder and booster, I thought the vt one bolted straight on? I've heard heaps of people saying it did... #### lucky I didnt buy one and try bolt it on...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The VT master and booster will bolt up to the VR but you need a new bracket. It's a well worthwhile conversion. I've done it on my VN and the missus VS