Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - Gear Lever knob broken

toranamike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SV6
Hi guys,

The knob off the top of my gear shifter seems to have snapped off this week while driving.

We tried to take the gear shifter off to replace the broken plastic part, but can't seem to find the end of the part that is broken.

Pic 1 shows what has happened, pic 2 is when we have removed the trim around the shifter, and the broken plastic part is exposed.

Any tips?

Pic 1: http://i.imgur.com/y9hP4Sz.jpg
Pic 2: http://i.imgur.com/wj3JyBK.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
From memory I think you have to remove the upper housing (the thing with PRND123 on it) in order to access the pin which holds the lever in place. You might also have to remove the lower console covers to be able to push the pin out. It's been a long time since I've done it and I can't remember exactly.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
From memory I think you have to remove the upper housing (the thing with PRND123 on it) in order to access the pin which holds the lever in place. You might also have to remove the lower console covers to be able to push the pin out. It's been a long time since I've done it and I can't remember exactly.

Basically correct.
Is a fun job, nottt

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
It's not that hard really. You need the button depressed to remove and replace the pin that holds it in place at the bottom while you tap the pin out with a small punch or something similar. If you don't have someone nearby to hold the button down while you do that you can tape the button down. You absolutely will need to remove the centre console however not the shifter plate. Looks like you've started down that track anyway.

There's instructions on here for installing a chrome shifter button which will explain what to do. Use the search facility.

Carlos bailey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vt series 2
Hey I had this issue and was wondering if u could put a after market gear shift on a vt someone help

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
I purchased one of these from a Holden Dealer for around $20, it is held in by a pin but you need to remove the center console which is a time consuming but fairly easy job... mine has just popped up recently (I suspect the pin has popped out ) so i need to pull it apart again and check.