Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt getrag sloppy shifts

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
hey guys, got a manual vt s pack not long ago, ive notice the shifts are pretty sloppy, in gear theres alot of movement avalible from the shifter, ive asked around heaps of places, a few auto parts stores and about 5 gearbox places and no one knows anything about them, now as far as i know the getrag uses linkages so the linkage bushes would be past if its sloppy yes ? does anyone know what i can do about this ?

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Gertrag's are known for being sloppy mate, it's just a common thing.
My gears have a lot of free play too..

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yes getrag boxes are sloppy.
feels like a spoon in the cake mix trying to select gears =P

you can change the bush/bushes (i dont know the amount) in there.

someone else could answer this.
also not sure but could getting a short shifter tighten it up more?
or do they go sloppy after a while aswell?

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
i had a short shifter in the vp and it would make the throws shorter but it would still be sloppy i recon. i wouldnt have though it would be like this, its a **** gearbox lol i could put a t5 in it with the hydrolic set up in it, that'd be wicked!

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
I got rejected for roadworthy because of mine being sloppy.
I had a circlip missing from the gearshift. Had that replaced and it was a tiny bit better, but still there is movement when in gear.
The rwc tester said the bushes needed replacing (but passed it because the circlip relacement made it a bit better).
The mechanic says even with a new linkage it would never be completely tight, its just the way they are.
There are apparently 2 bushes, one on the gearbox side and one above the linkage?? I cant remember specifically where the mechanic said, but he told me its something you do when you have to do a job on the gearbox. ie leave it alone until you have to go poking around in there.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
thats intresting, it may need a clutch soon anyway ( fkn hope not tho) and if i do ill do the bush's than.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
hey guys, got a manual vt s pack not long ago, ive notice the shifts are pretty sloppy, in gear theres alot of movement avalible from the shifter, ive asked around heaps of places, a few auto parts stores and about 5 gearbox places and no one knows anything about them, now as far as i know the getrag uses linkages so the linkage bushes would be past if its sloppy yes ? does anyone know what i can do about this ?

You r not alone :) Mine's the same but use to it now.

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
I have discovered recently the rubber mount that holds the shift plate to the body can break and make it even worse. Maybe have a quick poke underneath and check it out.
Mine has a short shifter in it and its much better than the stock shifter.
Another problem I have had is the shift plate came very close to snapping. Had it welded up and its going ok now.