Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt overheating

rydem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais series 2
whoever told you water is ok has no idea what they are talking about. Corrosion is the big one, further to that coolant has different thermal properties.
Ok, cheers. Ill go buy coolant and bleed it again.

D

devilly

i'm thinking first i would do a reset via disconnecting the battery,i'm also thinking if air is in the system then the coolant sensor wouldn't be working correctly.when bleeding it put the fans on inside the car to get the air out of there.what makes you think blockage have you bridge pins 5&6 to check for error code or checked that the coolant sensor is working to the correct ohms ? if you think blockage in radiator then feel the top and bottom see if there's a temp change.do your hoses swell up when your cars going or are they soft ?

rydem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais series 2
i'm thinking first i would do a reset via disconnecting the battery,i'm also thinking if air is in the system then the coolant sensor wouldn't be working correctly.when bleeding it put the fans on inside the car to get the air out of there.what makes you think blockage have you bridge pins 5&6 to check for error code or checked that the coolant sensor is working to the correct ohms ? if you think blockage in radiator then feel the top and bottom see if there's a temp change.do your hoses swell up when your cars going or are they soft ?
Ok, have done all that. Everythings fine, sensors all working to proper, have checked codes, nothing wrong.. when i replaced the radiator it was so blocked and gross, im thinking its in the engine too. There is dramatic differance in temp between the top and bottom radiator hoses.

rydem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais series 2
I think water is getting into the head/block but not out, temp guage shoots up to high when travelling below 40km iff driving faster it goes down.

D

devilly

i think that normal for top and bottom hoses to be different as the top should be hotter then the bottom so it opens the thermostat,i was saying on the radiator itself to check the temp high and low.did you get second hand radiator or buy new radiator ? while water is still in there maybe add a flush and then dump it and then put in coolant.then bleed the system with heater on full to remove any air.coolant has anti corrosion stuff and anti freeze stuff in it that helps protect the inside of your engine rusting out.and rust particles will defiantly block up your cooling system e.t.c

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
how long has this thing been running just water? It's probably well and truly corroded everything.

rydem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais series 2
Im not sure how long its been without coolant, but when i replaced the radiator ( with a new 1) it was so blocked , so i think its gotten i to the engine, plus just having water i it.. i think i needs a good clean

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Im not sure how long its been without coolant, but when i replaced the radiator ( with a new 1) it was so blocked , so i think its gotten i to the engine, plus just having water i it.. i think i needs a good clean

sounds like it, she needs a very good clean.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
water will be fine to use while ur trouble shooting the temp issues and flushing out the block and the rest of the system. no point buying coolant then find its still overheating and then have to dump all that fresh coolant again. using water long term isn't recommended but using water wont make ur system run hotter so u have no issue using it there. just make sure its distilled/rain water if anything.

since ur rad was blocked i would be trying to flush ur heater core out too make sure thats flowing ok, check both pipes when ur heaters running and see if they are similar temps, that should tell u a little story of whats going on. The core will be the same as the original rad was probably blocked up.

i would be curious as to why water was used previously too have u been using/losing water at all? since the car mayb unknown i would be lookin at getting the manifold gaskets done i bet thats why theres water in there.