Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT rough idle, slight miss IDEAS!!??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I first got my VS ecotec,after a few weeks it just started to idle really rough at the lights etc and just ran crappy in general,it even stalled a couple of times whilst trying to idle.I checked the error codes,got error code 48 showing up,so I checked the cam angle sensor and its wiring etc,all good.I then removed the cam angle sensor from the timing cover to check out the sensor pickup magnet, which is located in the cam sprocket and triggers the cam sensor as it passes it,and to my suprise, the magnet was completely gone.I removed the timing cover and luckily I found the broken magnet stuck to the side of the engine,luckily its a fairly strong magnet..What had happened was theres a plastic cage type thing that holds the magnet in the camshaft sprocket,this had come unclipped and had moved forward, and the magnet then hit the sensor which smashed the magnet out of the sprocket hole completely,it left a good score mark on the sensor where it hit too,so you could clearly see what had happened.I replaced the pickup magnet, $80 from holden!!, and refitted it all back together,its been 5 years since that happened and shes still going good.Ive since found out that with these V6 motors,this is not as uncommon an you might think,quite a few people over in the USA have had this happen with these engines,and apparently they glue the magnets plastic cage to the camshaft sprocket to stop it from moving forward and hitting the sensor.I just wish Id read this info before Id replaced mine,I would have glued it as well.Anyway,if you dont find the cause of error code 48,this pickup magnet might be worth checking out.Its a pretty rare thing to have happen,but it still can happen...and it will cause the car to run and idle like crap..

Last edited:

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
hey thanks mate pulled cam angle sensor out the other day, the sprocket just had hole in it no cage no nothing..... might have some **** rolling around in the bottom of the timing cover i think.... tomoro job i beleive... i thought the pick up worked by magentism when the sprocket went around then when the hole passed nothing, but in fact the other way round.... cheers bud let ya know how i go....

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
There is a heap of holes around the camshaft sprocket,one of these holes is offset out further than the other holes,this is the hole that the magnet is supposed to be in.
EDIT:Heres a picture of the pickup magnet and where its supposed to be located in the camshaft sprocket.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,594

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
If you have cleaned your MAF with carby cleaner then its probably rooted it. Clean the contacts for the various sensors, disconnect the negative terminal for 10 mins, run the car again and check to see if the error codes still exist.

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
cheers bud was looking for a picture of magnet..... got one now....

na bud i use windex and a toothbrush... gets all the dirt off it and is all good.... even after reset the same 4 codes are still there... well they clear but come back....

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
well just checked then the magnet is still there, sensor and magnet are ok, might have a broken wire, or a knackered sensor... ill shall get into it i think, once again..... any more ideas would be good...

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
well, magnet is still there and the cage.... checked all the wiring and resistance tested, all ok.... dont know now.... maybe a knackered MAF or CPS sensor i guess, does anyone know if the steering gear is ajustable, gave a caning yesterday now its clunking like f*ck, so if anyone knows if they are cheers

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I still reckon its the DFI.

The DFI controls spark firing and fuel injector pulse width so it can account for the lean running and the misfire.

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
roger... i beleive it could be... wait for my scan tool to rock up and see how we go, ha iv'e used a quarter of a tank to do about 40-50 ks.... WTF... on premium.... houston we have a problem