Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS 5.7L or '98/'99 WRX... need your opinions

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
wrx is a high maintanece heap of ****! cost an arm and leg just for a service let alone parts to fix em. wana have deep pockets to keep them maintaned well.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
My bro inlaw has a bugeye and its not that expensive to service vyjess... same as a holden service

thats running 19psi and stage 2 tune by s&j auto and its insanely fast..

the only advantage an ls1 has over them is takeoff becuase 200kw + to 4 wheels + 7k clutch dump= grenaded gbox as youd expect lol

but boost comes on and all you see is a ls1 in your mirror best thing i like is that theyre still cheap as to run haha

personally im set on getting a s2 ss vt.. manly because i think theyre a nicer car

Vegaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
and the only mod i want to begin with would be a full exhaust system which most of the SS's you see have already got done to them.

Same can be said for WRX's most of them have some form of Cannon.
Maybe, pull the name out of a hat if you cant decide. Lol

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
look your on a commodore forum asking if you should get a wrx or a holden :doh:

Not everyone is biased, so they will give an honest oppinion :)

I say go the rex, they are not as high maintanence as some people say.
Go great, and actually handle pretty damn good (even better when comparing it to a vt) :)

2 things i will tell you (manly from experience from bug eye's)
1. Wrx's are pretty peaky.... goes like a N/A 4 till about 3000 then the boost comes on strong... I love it.....
2. The 5 speed gearbox's have a habit of losing 2nd gear with to much abuse.

But at the end of the day i would still choose to drive a rex, so much more fun then a family car :)

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
WRXs sound horrible. They all have these huge tail pipes which look like pizza ovens. I know they go hard but those old ones look so rubbish-Almost like a girls car that a 14y.o boy has tries to make look manly with fiberglass and shiny things.

I do like the new ones tho

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
the wrx's are butt ugly man and thay only have the faster jump form the 4wd. and for a daliy i'd live to see you pull a trailer up a hill with a wrx

ewwwwwwww WRX are gross. i HATE them.

get the V8. sound sooo tuff and look sexy as hell!!

the WRX's in my opinion are hideious, and sound like fail ride on mowers with zorstage.. YUCK!

and dude, this is a holden forum.. u will probably get a lot of biased answers!!! LOL.

ha compared to the new ve's the wrx looks like sex on wheels:rofl2:
and they sound better then any ls engine i've ever heard

wrx aint got ****...quick off the line and then thats about all they got..i think a 14 year old boy pulls harder..vt ss gen3 cant go wrong mate.

wrx is a high maintanece heap of ****! cost an arm and leg just for a service let alone parts to fix em. wana have deep pockets to keep them maintaned well.

WRXs sound horrible. They all have these huge tail pipes which look like pizza ovens. I know they go hard but those old ones look so rubbish-Almost like a girls car that a 14y.o boy has tries to make look manly with fiberglass and shiny things.

I do like the new ones tho

I laughed so hard at all these comments, goes to show who has only driven commodores.

OP, go test drive the different cars. Make up your own mind.

I know what I went with, best decision I ever made, no holden in the price range(and even double the price range) comes close to performance, handling, build quality etc.
Servicing is not expensive at all, have a friend who has a MY05 rex, has done 160,000 of the hardest k's you will see and costs him on average around $400 a service.

Best advice is go out, test drive and not listen to monkeys on a forum, make your own decision.

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
my mate ownd a wrx and it was a special edition 1 with sti upgrades bought it new and only used it to take the family for a spin. diff went, used to chew tyres up every 20,000ks , gutless as unless on boost, try taking off up a hill and services r not cheap waite until u get the timing belt service bill. my other mate owns a 2009 wrx sti and he loves it(he should too cost 60grand) i call it a water cooled "vw" lol

B

BXHD

I laughed so hard at all these comments, goes to show who has only driven commodores.

I know what I went with, best decision I ever made, no holden in the price range(and even double the price range) comes close to performance, handling, build quality etc.
Servicing is not expensive at all, have a friend who has a MY05 rex, has done 160,000 of the hardest k's you will see and costs him on average around $400 a service.

Best advice is go out, test drive and not listen to monkeys on a forum, make your own decision.

i have driven a WRX STI ;)
not my cup of tea.

but i agreee with Minux that not to listen to us one eyed forum monkeys :p hahahaha.
its ur car, u will be driving it, so test drive both and see wat u want.

id go the beasty v8 rumble any day ;)

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2

i have driven a few wrx's from diffrent years found them very rough and found after 200-250k's that thay really start to cost alot

as for pulling a trailer with a diffrent car club we done a test any one that knows bulli pass will know how much of incline it is the 1997 wrx sti we had with us could not pull the 300kg trailer from a standing start it sounded like we would blow something

the commodore on the other hand from the vp 5l up to 5.7l vx gen 3 had to be given a little but around 4000-4500rpm started to pull and never slowed up

i do agree that he should make up his own mind

p.s i'd love to be a monkey thses lucky barstards get to walk around naked all day :smoking:

Angeldust

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series Clubsport HRT edition
worst mistake i did was to trade in my manual vx ss on a 05 wrx.

needless to say it took me only 6 days to realize what a mistake that was. I took the 6K loss on the chin and sold the car same week.

I bought a manual VY SS a month later. Couldn't be happier. Will never consider a wrx again over a SS.