Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS series 1 Major Problems

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
Hi guys ,
I have this SS which I use for weekend cruising been ultra reliable had it for six months.Had to store it one weekend in my sons garage while having some work done at my place, ran sweet algud locked it up and left it. Went back a week later to get it wouldn't start cranked over and wouldn't fire. Ok I got a mobile mechanic around to see what he could find thought it would be easy just to get it underway again. Now did a scan came up with code 46 thought it might be ignition module so he grabbed a refurbished one put it in no go, threw a new dizzy in bang away she went but ran as rough as guts on 7 cylinders only then , he then put some new leads on one of the old ones had a crack still ran rough and that was all I said for him to do at least I can get it home to my usual mechanic. Also started throwing code 49. Got it to my usual mechanic he found one of the injectors had failed
so put in a new set , fine don't mind spending the $ as long as we get it sorted, he also found a broken wire in the loom which he fixed redid the timing and He said take it for the weekend see how it goes let me know, went for a drive seemed a little rough than what it used to be stopped at the lights and the oil light came on, pulled over and oil all good full as normal, oil sender fault related to electrical problems???? Maybe coincidence??? Also car pulls like crazy heaps of power only when idle or low revs does it feel rough, only thing hasn't been done is the coil. Any advice would be appreciated going back to talk to mechanic tomorrow , by the way this mechanic is a good guy even took the car home to his place to work on it at night and put a lot of effort in to sort it out, many thanks in advance for any ideas

D

devilly

if it was just a spare dizzy that got put in by another mechanic might want to get to your normal mechanic and ask them to put a good one in.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
The dizzy was brand new , cars at the mechanics today will see what he comes back with he's going to take it home tonight and see how it runs and see what else he can find , he said that he might look at doing an oil change and putting a thinner performance oil in to see if the oil pump is possibly getting a bit "lazy" with the oil that's in there and check out the other running issues, cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did the engine get washed at all during all these changes. Easy for water to get caught up in the oil pressure sensor and turn on the oil light. Either take off the sensor connector and spray with contact & circuit board cleaner, or wait until the heat of the engine evaporates the water. Another possibility is that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump may be faulty.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Was it a genuine Bosch dizzy to suit the sequential injection (4 wires coming out of dizzy to a square plug)?

As for the oil pressure switch, try replacing it. You don't want to even start it if it doesn't have oil pressure.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Yeah, try another oil pressure switch. If its not the switch, STOP running the car because every second you run it with low/no oil pressure, you're damaging bearings and internals that are potentially going to be big $$$$.

Engines MUST have oil pressure or you're running bearings metal-to-metal which is horrendous.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
Hi guys thanks for all the replies got the car back today , the dizzy was a genuine Bosch one and the engine never got wet at all , mechanic changed oil put in Fuchs 20/50 and a Lucas oil stabiliser ran it at the workshop for awhile took it for a good drive and went fine no oil light came on he also thinks the rough idle which is worse when cold may be a vacuum leak from the manifold or possibly a valve starting to burn as he went over all the other possible areas for vacuum leak and found nothing, will see how it goes , cheers