Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS v8 Problems

darcygreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS V8
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have had my Commo for about 3 years now and didnt have any problems untill a year ago. At first it was just the power windows starting to go, then the lcd in the intrument cluster goin weak but now i have more serious problems.

The car is hard to start (over fuels) and then idle's very rough for 15 seconds, then smooths right out. It drives fine 70% of the time, but the other 30% chokes and splutters at random times and can even stall at lights. The Check Power train also comes on occasionally, but ussually doesnt last longer than 15 secs. (This is ussually when it coughs and splutters the worst).

I have checked the Error codes and got:

15. Coolant temperature sensor (voltage high)
16. Coolant temperature sensor (voltage unstable)
24. Vehicle speed sensor (no signal)
35. Idle speed error (IAC valve unable to control idle speed)
42. Electronic spark timing (EST) bypass circuit
92. Low speed fan fault

I know thats a lot of error codes, but im looking for some suggestions on where to start. I automatically assumed it was the Crank Angle Sensor, from what i have seen on here and what happened with my previous VL commo.

My dad's pretty handy with this **** and we have done some more research tonight, we are now thinking its the Coolant Temp Sensor. Because if it tells the car its still cold, wouldnt there be more fuel sent to the engine therefore flooding it? It could also be ****ing with the timing couldnt it?

Anyways, hope u guys can point me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance!

njnathan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C/SPORT 5.0L 5Spd
Try Your coolant Sensor, O2 Sensor on Exhaust will be when running poorly. As for the Codes I wish you luck with that, Possibly earth problems, and/or dizzy unit faults

darcygreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS V8
I brought a Coolant Temp Sensor and new leads, will install tommorow and see how i go.

Anyone else got any ideas?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Unlikely to be leads. Replace the coolant sensor first and see if it fixes the problem before you do the leads, otherwise you won't know the real cause of the problem. It's almost like you have an engine wiring harness problem or a faulty PCM given the wide range of problems that were logged.

jammo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss commodore
jammo 64

Try Your coolant Sensor, O2 Sensor on Exhaust will be when running poorly. As for the Codes I wish you luck with that, Possibly earth problems, and/or dizzy unit faults

hey mate its definatelt coolant temp sensor . it will make your car run rich and difficult at times to start. but fix it quick a $15 dollar part can save your catalytic converters running rich will destroy them.