Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Thermofan problem

dodgie12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Station Wagon
Thanks all for your help.Think we have it all sorted after getting the wiring diagram. Am a bit mad with myself looking for something complicated and it wasn't. By shorting the high fan speed relay 30 & 87 the fans kicked in and seemed to me to run at the same noise level as when they used to kick in when the a/c was switched on so I assumed the fans were ok and went looking for all kinds of non existing faults. What happened is the LOW speed on both fans are crook (probably failed at different times) with the high speed ok. On studying the wiring diagram we found shorting terminals 30 & 87a with the low speed relay in place would kick the fans on when a/c is started but at high speed instead of the low speed which is what is supposed to happen and cycle on & off with the a/c compressor.Fans also kick in with a/c off and coolant temp sensor tells the BCM its getting hot but also at high speed.Maybe there is little difference in noise level from low to high speed or my hearing is sus.Probably the case. Until I source replacement fans I am running the vehicle in this configuration with the fans operating at high speed only but when they should.Can,t see any problems with this. Any comments appreciated.

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
Hi there.

I've got the same problem but mines a bit different because my fans don't work at all when the car gets hot even with the A/C on. If I put the relay in for the low speed fan it turns on without the car running and stays on. I've tried changing the relay thinking it was faulty, and once I put the new relay in the same thing happened but only this time if I unplug the relay and have the car running the low speed fan will come on by itself. Now I've changed a lot of things on my car like (Thermo Sensor, Crack Angle Sensor, Water Pump, Radiator, Oxygen Sensors, Thermostat and I even tried changing the ECU/BCM but the fan was still running with pretty much everything unplugged. I need help real bad cause I'm affard that if I take it to get it looked at and fixed by a marcanhic it's going to cost me more then the cars worth. Please if anyone can help me out with this problem..!!!!