Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 sudden fuel usage increase

Haltech 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim & HSV XU6 VT II
Hi I have a VT VT Auto with 156k on it. Has a 2.5inch exhaust and Extractors Hi flow airfilter. I usually get about 12 to 12.5l/100km over my fortnightly work run but all of a sudden it has jumped upto 14 to 15l/100km I am buying the same type of fuel from the same place nothing else has changed It was serviced about 5000km ago and is due for new plugs with the next service when they will be 20000km old they are standard plugs not iridium. It seems to be running ok I have cleaned and re oiled the air filter, the fuel filter is about 15k old the trans was seviced about 30k ago so that could probably use another service. I cleaned the MAF last time I serviced the car. The check engine light is not coming on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Too much oil left in the filter?
Oil residue maybe on your MAF element?

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
If you re-oiled the filter then you need to clean the MAF a week or so after. The initial oil that comes off a re-oiled filter will foul the MAF, even if you just cleaned it.

Haltech 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wondered about that I will give it a clean and see how it goes.
Thanks Chris

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
oiled air filters and MAF = problems
get rid of it and fit K&N panel filter
but don't re-oil it just wash and refit

Last edited:

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Thought you just was K&n with water and you don't need to oil them if u didn't want or just put the stock air box with a paper filter and just replace every 10 000 kms

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
This can be the first sign of battery voltage problems so check your battery terminals and the wire to the alternator

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be replacing the fuel filter before 15,000 km. I replace mine every 5000 km, and theres a fair bit of dirt comes out of it then, and I dont drive on dirt roads etc, and Ive replaced my fuel tank, so I know its clean and not full of dirt and crap, so the dirts gotta come from the fuel we buy.

Haltech 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I cleaned the MAS on the car and it has made a little bit of difference but it is still not back to where it used to be. I got 13.8 litres per 100 out of this last tank of fuel where I used to get about 12.5 litres per 100km.

I am not sure what to try next. The spark plugs were only changed last service but it seems they may need changing again already the car has a bit of a rough idle at the moment and it has had a couple of very large misses the last couple of days.

any thoughts.

Chris