Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ok. Been doing some reading.

Just to clarify. The obd2 cable does read fault codes and came with digimoto.
The Scangauge2 will not read faults, but can be programmed to read GM specific sensors

LX arrived, have had a quick look.

It came with licence for OBDwiz/Touchscan, same thing. You can buy an add on for this for $40 that gives:
Custom DTC Definitions
GM Enhanced Sensors
User-Defined Sensors

If I am reading the above correctly it should do LS1 specific fault codes? if you know the command?

Dave
Yes, your OBD2 cable can read fault codes, live engine data, or even program stuff in your car. Its all up to the software to be able to send/read the required information.

The $40 addon provides GM specific PIDS (Parameter ID's) that they have figured out, and also allows you to set your own custom ones if you known them. But, it still doesnt read GM specific fault codes by it self. I am yet to have tried out the custom DTC option, I am unsure whether you can actually set a custom command for it to send, then allocate what each byte in the response means. Or if it jsut means you can define what a fault means like U0501 ect.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
can someone tell me if these cables are the rip off ones or not it looks like they are :(

Commodore LS1 V8 Scan Cable Read Clear Code Engine VT VX VY VZ Computer PCM OBD2 | eBay

If your looking for a suitable cable plus software to work on your commodore (LS1 or VZ and newer), then Id suggest picking up one of my cables which will come with a free "Software on ELM Street" license.
Please see the first post for a video of SOE in action! Its the only Holden dedicated software available on the internet.

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
then Id suggest picking up one of my cables

I like the look of the [your] cable and assume its quality built inside the box, the software demo video looks ok as well.
It lists as being compatible right up the VE 's etc, including the V8 and obviously supports ODB2 etc -however-
The only factor really holding me back is are they 100% compatible with a V6 VF - as in fully tested on an actual Vehicle and more specifically, to pull back ALL DATA from my 2014 VF V6 Calias?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
The only factor really holding me back is are they 100% compatible with a V6 VF - as in fully tested on an actual Vehicle and more specifically, to pull back ALL DATA from my 2014 VF V6 Calias?
I unfortunately do not own a VF, and have been unsuccessful in obtaining a VF ecu to work with on a bench setup thus I cant 100% confirm that it does work. This is also why I dont have it as a definite supported vehicle on the vehicle list! I try to give as much details and information about everything I can and as seen in my videos I try to approach diagnostics in a down to Earth manner.

Based on my readings of technical documents, the ECU will communicate over standard CAN 11bit 500kb/s just like all VZ and VE's do for engine data. But I cannot confirm until someone trys that out or if I can pickup a second hand VF ecu for a reasonable price.

I am currently looking into supporting more cables (MX wifi and AVT 852) and also adding in Transmission data as well! These will be in the upcoming update with a whole bunch of other changes and additions! :beer chug:

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
If your looking for a suitable cable plus software to work on your commodore (LS1 or VZ and newer), then Id suggest picking up one of my cables which will come with a free "Software on ELM Street" license.
Please see the first post for a video of SOE in action! Its the only Holden dedicated software available on the internet.

Talking software how about toad (total car diagnostics) i have brought this software but i am waiting on the cable to come. The software looks to be very professional, Australia,America based or so it seems and on there disks they include a few software programs as well with a lot of protocals as i said i havent tryed it and i am not very well informed on this subject.
So please let me know what you think of the software
TOTAL OBD Car Diagnostics & Chiptuning Software | OBDII OBD2 Scanner for ELM327

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Talking software how about toad (total car diagnostics) i have brought this software but i am waiting on the cable to come. The software looks to be very professional, Australia,America based or so it seems and on there disks they include a few software programs as well with a lot of protocals as i said i havent tryed it and i am not very well informed on this subject.
So please let me know what you think of the software
TOTAL OBD Car Diagnostics & Chiptuning Software | OBDII OBD2 Scanner for ELM327

Oh no... I hope you didnt get strung into that!

Its essentially a complete and utter scam with a bunch of false advertising. It cannot in any way retune any OBD2 Holden commodores. It does not explicitly support Holden commodores and certainly cannot read Holden specific fault codes or Holden specific engine/transmission data on our OBD2 commodores including:
-All LS1's
-All VZ's
-All VE's
-All VF's

Infact, if you had an OBD1 commodore (VY V6 ect).. they are literally selling you free software which you could have downloaded without paying anything to them! Since they distribute TunerPro and ADX files for ALDL commodores and don't even supply a cable.

I cant stress enough how many emails I get a week saying they fell for the "TOAD" diagnostic scam, it a major waste of money on Holdens and can't do anything useful. Just like all the other OBD2 software, it either doesnt work or will only read basic information such as speed and RPM.

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Oh no... I hope you didnt get strung into that!

Its essentially a complete and utter scam with a bunch of false advertising. It cannot in any way retune any OBD2 Holden commodores. It does not explicitly support Holden commodores and certainly cannot read Holden specific fault codes or Holden specific engine/transmission data on our OBD2 commodores including:
-All LS1's
-All VZ's
-All VE's
-All VF's

Infact, if you had an OBD1 commodore (VY V6 ect).. they are literally selling you free software which you could have downloaded without paying anything to them! Since they distribute TunerPro and ADX files for ALDL commodores and don't even supply a cable.

I cant stress enough how many emails I get a week saying they fell for the "TOAD" diagnostic scam, it a major waste of money on Holdens and can't do anything useful. Just like all the other OBD2 software, it either doesnt work or will only read basic information such as speed and RPM.

Lol yer i did, live and learn i guess. my car is the obd vt super6 thow not obd2. All this is new to me the ecu stuff i mean.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Lol yer i did, live and learn i guess. my car is the obd vt super6 thow not obd2. All this is new to me the ecu stuff i mean.

Yep, Id suggest grabbing a refund mate! Since the cable they will send you isnt even suitable for your vehicle anyway.

Your VT V6 communicates over ALDL, heres a few link which should provide all the information you need:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...hing-know-about-aldl-diagnostic-cables.229926

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...les-engine-diagnostics-vr-vs-vt-vx-vy-vz.html

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190