Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT-VZ diff cradle failure

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
These are couple of pics of my vy s1 ss diff cradle , I know that they are prone to failing from time to time but braking here? One side is missing the nut and threaded bolt end on the other side cradle mount has snapped off. I dont do burnouts or hard launches but do drive it how it should be driven. I took it for a wheel alignment before this happened , camber kit is fitted ,got it back and wasnt happy it was making clunk noise in rear, it wasnt before I took it in, and pulling to the left. I took it back and they had a look and said all is fine . and now this has happened.
Question is...... do they brake here?
do the camber nuts snap ?
is this due to poor workmanship?
What do you think has happened?

Attachments

• vy 001.jpg
    vy 001.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,463
  • vy 002.jpg
    vy 002.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,561
  • vy.jpg
    vy.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 6,927

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
seen the holes flog out if the bolts are left loose, but never seen it brake off like that.
is the bolt broken or missing/fallen out of the side missing.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just had a closer look and the bolt is missing/not put back in , I dont think it has fallen out it would show signs of hole sloged out which it does not have and also there is dirt/oil/road film built up on cradle where bolt head would be normally be. Are these bolts removed when adjusting wheel alignment , it has camber kit installed.

Last edited:

CRANKN

Reaction score
Members Ride
A slow1
never seen one break there before, has is been in an accident? make sure you get a good suspension shop to go over it after you replace the broken parts

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
never seen one break there before, has is been in an accident? make sure you get a good suspension shop to go over it after you replace the broken parts

No never been in accident . I was told the place I took it to were reputable mechanics , I only got them to do two things fit two new rear tyres and wheel alignment , after it was done they tell me my centre cap is broken (from them smashing it out with a hammer) and then driving home noticed it pulling left and when taking off it would make a knock noise , rang them on way home and was told to bring back in morning .So the next day I go to leave home to go back and see them and whats that I have but flat rear tyre so I go and put my spare on and my lock nut is missing off the wheel only four nut put back on . I was not a happy camper by the time I got there , they tell me now that lock nut must not have been on there the day before which was B/S I washed my car/wheels only days before and would of noticed it missing and now this has happened which leads back to them when doing Wheel alignment either leaving it out or loose probably out from how it looks. Who knows of any good mechanics that know what they are doing on the Gold Coast , so so many CoyBoys around here.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sounds like the mechanic that fitted the tyres and done the wheel alignment ####ed you hard, did he atleast address you by your first name?

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds like the mechanic that fitted the tyres and done the wheel alignment ####ed you hard, did he atleast address you by your first name?
He sure did , its not just my cars ass end that hurts , and I paid him WTF............. I dont think he will forget my name and face for a while when I go down there later in the week to confront him. I was pissed last time I went back to see them , thats why im leaving it until later in the week to go back if not I will probably go in swing .

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
man... I hate dogy workmanship..