Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT-VZ Owners! Questions regarding 2100kg towing kit

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hello everyone,
I have a few questions regarding the 2100kg towing kit.
I have a V6 VY sedan. The car has 150 000km and is in good condition, in January I had the radiator and all the cooling system replaced (old rad had a small hole).

I want to have a 2100kg kit installed, but in my boot my sub box is built into the spare tyre area. The only access I have is an 18" hole.
Does anyone have pictures of the braces for a 2100kg kit installed in a car? I imagine I will have to remove my sub box, but thought I'd check to make sure first.

Also, can anyone comment on towing big loads with a V6? I thought these gearboxes were always a little bit weak - any issues? I will be towing close to the limit in some situations, 1250kg car + 600kg - 700kg trailer + spares.

And what size auto transmission cooler should I get? (Just very big?)
Lastly, when installing the cooler, do I bypass the standard tranny cooler in the radiator all together, or loop it on so it's cooled through both?
I thought perhaps bypassing the stock cooler might be good, keep the hot transmission fluid out of the radiator, might help keep the car cool under load - the real world difference is probably not noticeable though.

Cheers,
Anthony.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I've only towed something heavy once, but I've done plenty of towing and installed my own tow bar so here's my opinion....

I'd be installing the cooler into the line and still using stock cooler as well, you want that tranny fluid cool as possible. Bigger cooler the better........depending on budget, any aftermarket cooler would be enough I would think.

I've heard of plenty of people towing cars behind the V6 with no issues. Just slow and steady, you don't want wobbles and start breaking a LOT earlier than you normally would.

In my wagon the towbar bolts were already fitted into spare wheel compartment, so everything was done from underneath, mine wasn't heavy duty though, just the regular. This looks seriously more complicated than mine:
Holden Commodore VY Hayman Reese Tow Bar 2100KGS | eBay

Just see how you go with the sub box. Would it be hard to lift it out for 20 minutes? Chuck a cooler in there, rig it up and see if you make it to destination.......... The one time I towed a heavy trailer with my VN it wouldn't go over 80kph and we had to stop every hour to let the smoking transmission cool. Made it, 450km, tranny lasted another 3 years. Also read similar threads below, heaps of info on 2100kg. I haven't read these but you can!
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/205426-vp-commodore-ute-towing-2100kg.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/204550-vz-2100kg-heavy-duty-holden-towbar.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/164591-just-quick-towing-question-vy-commodore-wagon-towing-another-car.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/97615-2100kg-tow-bar-parts-needed-fit.html

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've only towed something heavy once, but I've done plenty of towing and installed my own tow bar so here's my opinion....

I'd be installing the cooler into the line and still using stock cooler as well, you want that tranny fluid cool as possible. Bigger cooler the better........depending on budget, any aftermarket cooler would be enough I would think.

I've heard of plenty of people towing cars behind the V6 with no issues. Just slow and steady, you don't want wobbles and start breaking a LOT earlier than you normally would.

In my wagon the towbar bolts were already fitted into spare wheel compartment, so everything was done from underneath, mine wasn't heavy duty though, just the regular. This looks seriously more complicated than mine:
Holden Commodore VY Hayman Reese Tow Bar 2100KGS | eBay

Just see how you go with the sub box. Would it be hard to lift it out for 20 minutes? Chuck a cooler in there, rig it up and see if you make it to destination.......... The one time I towed a heavy trailer with my VN it wouldn't go over 80kph and we had to stop every hour to let the smoking transmission cool. Made it, 450km, tranny lasted another 3 years. Also read similar threads below, heaps of info on 2100kg. I haven't read these but you can!
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/205426-vp-commodore-ute-towing-2100kg.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/204550-vz-2100kg-heavy-duty-holden-towbar.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/164591-just-quick-towing-question-vy-commodore-wagon-towing-another-car.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/97615-2100kg-tow-bar-parts-needed-fit.html

Thanks for your help mate, just the information I'm looking for. I've included a few pictures of the sub box for reference, it might have to be removed permanently.
When you towed with your VN - what was actually smoking? I'm interested more than anything else.
I'll just get a cooler from eBay, I'm worried to get something too large, then the fluid will take long time to heat up in winter when I'm not towing, cold fluid is as useless as hot fluid - I might just cover the front of the cooler with cardboard or something during winter.

I wonder what speed I would be able to travel at on the highway - 100km/h?

You might end up with one of these actually...depends on the brand. I can't see the sub being a problem for this.

Tow bar VY-VZ Commodore. | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Cambridge Area - Wembley

Thanks for the link, that's cheap. I thought the Hayman Reese kits had different / more braces. The price seems to be $860 fitted, not much less if I fit myself.

Pictures - maybe I can remove the sub and have enough access to install the bracing?
2012-08-18143946.jpg

P1010074.jpg

2012-08-25162054-1.jpg

P1010489.jpg

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Personally, Anthony, I wouldn't be towing anything that heavy with a commodore. Driveline is upto the task, but the body isn't. I towed a 2000kg boat with my VT once and it didn't like it. The body creaks and groans were scary.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally, Anthony, I wouldn't be towing anything that heavy with a commodore. Driveline is upto the task, but the body isn't. I towed a 2000kg boat with my VT once and it didn't like it. The body creaks and groans were scary.

Body I don't mind! :p I know it's not going to pull apart or crack the subframe/chassis rails in the short term - long run I can't say. I just need to tow for maybe 1 year, then I will have saved up enough cash to sell the Berlina and buy something more appropriate. Do you have the 2100kg towbar? Any chance of pictures of your boot pre-stereo? I'm trying to suss out what sort of access I will need in the boot to install the supports.

Also, was that 2000kg boat and trailer, or 2000kg boat alone?

My current skyline weighs <1200kg. The trailer I usually borrow weighs 650kg so that's 1850kg, not too bad. I'll add some extra fuel, spear gearbox for the skyline, tools and tyres and it's an extra 100kg - 150kg say.

The tow bar places I've talked to have all said it's fine to tow right up to 2100kg, they suggested an overheating auto box is the main problem.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Driveline is upto the task, but the body isn't. I towed a 2000kg boat with my VT once and it didn't like it. The body creaks and groans were scary.

The strength of the towing pack is supposed to make a big difference because of the way it bolts into the body and disperses weight. Not sure what you were running though. Having said that, I've been in 5L VPs and VS Statesmans that have towed cars without a creek coming from the body.

Trans cooler is a must though.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Body I don't mind! :p I know it's not going to pull apart or crack the subframe/chassis rails in the short term - long run I can't say. I just need to tow for maybe 1 year, then I will have saved up enough cash to sell the Berlina and buy something more appropriate. Do you have the 2100kg towbar? Any chance of pictures of your boot pre-stereo? I'm trying to suss out what sort of access I will need in the boot to install the supports.

Also, was that 2000kg boat and trailer, or 2000kg boat alone?

My current skyline weighs <1200kg. The trailer I usually borrow weighs 650kg so that's 1850kg, not too bad. I'll add some extra fuel, spear gearbox for the skyline, tools and tyres and it's an extra 100kg - 150kg say.

The tow bar places I've talked to have all said it's fine to tow right up to 2100kg, they suggested an overheating auto box is the main problem.

Soz. No pre audio pics. Boot needs to be completely stripped though.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think so mate. From memory it bolts through the spare wheel well.