Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VTII driveshaft/universal bolts loose

fisher191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Senator
Hi, I have a LS1 VTII auto which is making a sharp clicking noise intermittently.

It has done this before (about 3 years ago) and I sent it in for service. The dealer charged me $300 to tighten the driveshaft bolts.

I want to see what is going on here. Can someone point me to an exploded diagram or pictures of this area please?

The car has around 150kkm on it. Is it worth replacing the universal(s)?

Thanks for the help, Greg

cookp

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Car
Greg, does it mainly do the 'clicking' thing when you decelerate / slow down or coast along in neutral.
Does this clicking noise sound like a 'loose' metallic type rattle ?

Refer to the VT rubber Driveshaft Coupling.

dshaft.jpg

hmmmm, a rubber coupling on a 250 kw V8 driveshaft, good on ya holden.

Last edited:

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I had a clicking problem like you are speaking of. Use to do it real bad driving slow. It went away and never came back :|

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Make sure theres no cable tie on the shaft. Someone did it to mine and the mechanic found the cable tie!!!!!

fisher191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Senator
Greg, does it mainly do the 'clicking' thing when you decelerate / slow down or coast along in neutral.
Does this clicking noise sound like a 'loose' metallic type rattle ?

Refer to the VT rubber Driveshaft Coupling.

View attachment 48294

hmmmm, a rubber coupling on a 250 kw V8 driveshaft, good on ya holden.

Hi Cookp, It is only doing it at really low speed (forward and reverse). It is very intermittent. It started the same way last time and got progressively worse. It sounds exactly like what they said last time - loose driveshaft bolts and the clicking is the flange changing position. I assume it goes away at higher speeds as the loads are more constant.

cookp

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Car
Sounds similar to mine but i have a manual, the noise would always be there when i pushed the clutch at slow speeds from memory.

The 6 bolts that go through the rubber universal go through these steel sleeves which are moulded into & form the rubber universal, The rattle is caused as distortion of the rubber uni has caused these steel sleeves to seperating from the uni & move against the bolts. refer to good condition rubber uni attached (driveshaft removed).

uni2.jpg

I can take a pitchure of my 'distorted one if you like, i just have to find it.

I was told by holden (after i fixed the problem) that the Factory VT rubber Uni's distort over time, & that the Holden replacement part is a revised version as installed on the VX onwards.

Last edited:

fisher191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Senator
Sounds similar to mine but i have a manual, the noise would always be there when i pushed the clutch at slow speeds from memory.

The 6 bolts that go through the rubber universal go through these steel sleeves which are moulded into & form the rubber universal, The rattle is caused as distortion of the rubber uni has caused these steel sleeves to seperating from the uni & move against the bolts. refer to good condition rubber uni attached (driveshaft removed).

View attachment 48343

I can take a pitchure of my 'distorted one if you like, i just have to find it.

I was told by holden (after i fixed the problem) that the Factory VT rubber Uni's distort over time, & that the Holden replacement part is a revised version as installed on the VX onwards.

Thanks very much for the replies.

I have had a look and mine seems to be different from the pics you have posted.

I have a 'normal' (just a universal) at the rear of the gearbox and at the diff but there is also a central fitting behind a heat or stone shield (also difficult to access because of the exhaust). I can see 6 allen key bolts that all seem secure. Everything I can see also seems tight.

I would really appreciate any pics or diagrams of this center assembly and/or how to remove/inspect/replace it.

Cheers, Greg