Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU key

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
Hey guys there are probably 1000 of these but what happens if i put a new battery in my key will i have to take it to holden to get it recoded or is there a way i can do it myself. Cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The hard part is replacing the battery - afaik the coding remains but the fob is super hard to open and the battery is soldered on.

Uni did this once (because he's a beggar for punishment) and from memory it didn't go well.

TLDR? replace the fob and get it coded.

Reaction score
Members Ride
The hard part is replacing the battery - afaik the coding remains but the fob is super hard to open and the battery is soldered on.

Uni did this once (because he's a beggar for punishment) and from memory it didn't go well.

TLDR? replace the fob and get it coded.
iv got a new case for the fob coming so i am swapping the microchip and all that over, while im there i was putting a new battery in the fob but if its soldered in it sounds like a bastard of a job

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
It's a bit tricky, just completed a battery swap on my wife's VS Clubsport (same principle as VT/VU). Once you have opened the fob, you need to de-solder and remove the battery from the circuit board, then replace with a new one, and then resolder and trim off any excess battery prongs. You can purchase a CR2032/HMN which are a direct fit from Batteries Direct for around $2 each. However, I don't know where you could find someone to do the de-solder/solder for you, perhaps an auto electrician.

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a bit tricky, just completed a battery swap on my wife's VS Clubsport (same principle as VT/VU). Once you have opened the fob, you need to de-solder and remove the battery from the circuit board, then replace with a new one, and then resolder and trim off any excess battery prongs. You can purchase a CR2032/HMN which are a direct fit from Batteries Direct for around $2 each. However, I don't know where you could find someone to do the de-solder/solder for you, perhaps an auto electrician.
righto are they the exact same iv seen pictures of some that look like the battery slides in and out easy once you get the bloody thing open, i shouldnt have any trouble soldering it iv fixed a usb stick before (with a lot of swearing) so hopfully it would be easier than that

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
They don't slide out. The battery tabs are spot welded on. So you need as mentioned the batteries with tabs already on it.
Soldering a 2032 battery requires flux plus a very hot soldering iron for it to take hold. A standard iron won't work and the solder just beads up. You can try heating the battery but risk it exploding due to heat.

Reaction score
Members Ride
They don't slide out. The battery tabs are spot welded on. So you need as mentioned the batteries with tabs already on it.
Soldering a 2032 battery requires flux plus a very hot soldering iron for it to take hold. A standard iron won't work and the solder just beads up. You can try heating the battery but risk it exploding due to heat.
Righto mate cheers il just leave the old battery in there for now, might just wait untill im a bit closer to a holden dealer and just bite the bullet and pay the big bucks

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Mister minit do them for $99.