Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU SS Ute - need help removing tub liner

emilebos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Ute 5.7
Fitting a factory towbar I've sourced on eBay. It's all cleaned up, re-painted and ready to install. However I can't see how the ute liner should be removed in order to drill the bolt holes through the tub floor to fit the towbar? Tried unbolting the top rails on each side by removing the three torx bolts and even the five smaller torx screws on each rail, but the rails just won't budge?

First question, should I be removing the top rails to remove the liner?

And if the top rails do need to be removed, what am I doing wrong??

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I don't know for a VU exactly. But it may be similar to my VZ. Open the tailgate and there are screws around the back edge of the liner. Take them out and fold the tub liner up from the middle to pop it out of the sides.

emilebos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Ute 5.7
Thanks Gaiter, tub liner removed in around 20 minutes!

Removed 4 screws near the tailgate, then lifted the liner from the middle at the rear. Surprised at how much flex it has to allow the top of the liner out from under the rail!

Drilled the 5 towbar anchor bolt holes and clicked in the factory wiring harness into the RHS tail light loom. Just have to lift the towbar up into place and bolt in to finish off.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Sweet as mate. Glad it worked out for ya.

They do have ALOT of flex in them.