Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Antenna.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
OK, so am I right in thinking if the motor on my power antenna is still working, but the antenna isn't going up and down, I just need to replace the rope and mast?
Is there anything else that goes wrong with them.
Thanks.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Thats about it, got the same problem and got to replace my mast and rope. Although it's been like for a year or so now, radio still works so it's not high on my priorities atm.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
I've got a weird issue with mine at the moment. It works, and I can extend it up or down with the buttons on the factory head unit, but if I make a mistake I wind the antenna out until its fully extended, then it stops working, but I can still hear the motor working though.

So what I found worked for me, and it might work for you mate, is press the power down button on the stereo until its wound all the way down, then turn ignition off, an get out and physically push the antenna right down too the bottom, and then turn the ignition back to accessories and see if it will work again. For some reason this works for me, and it might work for you too. If it does work, then just don't make the mistake of extending the antenna all the way up, or you'll have too repeat that again.

I don't know why it's doing that with mine, I know it's just the mast I think, but it's funny how it engages and works fine, when I do that.

Just try it and see if it works

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
I've got an aftermarket head unit, so I can't adjust the antenna height.
Cheers anyways.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Oh that's a prick mate, coz that worked for me, and is continuing too work.

One thing too keep in mind, is that a lot of people think that you have too remove the guard/fender in order too remove the antenna, and you don't.

Remove:

1.) You just undo the panel on the passenger footwell.
2.) Then disconnect the antenna from the wiring harness, just above the PCM.
3.) Set the antenna too it's fully retracted position.
4.) Remove the nut, retainers and screws securing the right hand guard/fender INNER, and remove the inner liner.
5.) Remove the screw connecting the earth braid to the inner fender/guard terminal
6.) Disconnect the antenna wiring harness from the main wiring harness connector in the wheel well
7.) While supporting the antenna assembly, remove the antenna support bracket attaching bolt
8.) Remove the antenna lead grommet from inner fender/guard panel, and pull lead out from passenger compartment
9.) Withdraw antenna down through bezel and remove, complete with leads, grommet and bracket.

Re-Install

Reinstallation is the reverse of the removal procedure, taking note of the following:

1.) Ensure cable and harness are routed correctly
2.) Ensure that antenna and earth leads are routed correctly and securely connected
3.) With antenna pushed up against stop in bezel, tighten antenna bracket to inner fender/guard panel, attaching bolt to the correct torque specification.
Torque specification for antenna to inner fender bolt is 5.0-12.0 Nm (Just make sure it's secure basically)
4.) Check antenna operation and radio reception.

I haven't had too replace one before, but they are the exact specifications, pretty much word for word, and I would've included some pics but I'm on my bloody iPad, and it won't let me upload photos for some reason

Anyways hopefully these directions will help you too get it done without having too remove your guard

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Thanks for the info.
I'll give it a crack at some stage. The radio is still working, so not a real high priority.
Cheers.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
My antenna works perfectly operation wise (up/down) but sometimes the antenna won't actually work (won't pick up signal etc).

Any suggestions?

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Oh that's a prick mate, coz that worked for me, and is continuing too work.
1.) You just undo the panel on the passenger footwell.
2.) Then disconnect the antenna from the wiring harness, just above the PCM.
3.) Set the antenna too it's fully retracted position.
4.) Remove the nut, retainers and screws securing the right hand guard/fender INNER, and remove the inner liner.
5.) Remove the screw connecting the earth braid to the inner fender/guard terminal
6.) Disconnect the antenna wiring harness from the main wiring harness connector in the wheel well
7.) While supporting the antenna assembly, remove the antenna support bracket attaching bolt
8.) Remove the antenna lead grommet from inner fender/guard panel, and pull lead out from passenger compartment
9.) Withdraw antenna down through bezel and remove, complete with leads, grommet and bracket.

Do you need to remove the wheel to do this, or jack up that corner of the car?

My antenna needs to be replaced (the motor still works, but the mast is stuffed totally).

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
yes it makes it easier to remove the wheel gives you more working room.