Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Berlina ABS Module

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Hi I was hoping that someone might be able to clear something up for me, my ABS module on my VX Berlina (LS1 with Traction Control), appears to be faulty, and I've checked that it's not potentially something else, just by unplugging the ABS plug when it lights up, and the oil pressure light illuminates, and every time that I've done it, the oil light has immediately gone off as soon as I've unplugged the ABS plug, so I'm fairly sure that it's the ABS control module.

Anyways, I've got a mate that's just wrecked a VY SS and is sending me the ABS control module from it, so I can replace the faulty unit in my car, but I just wanted to confirm that I'll be able to swap my faulty ABS control module over with the ABS control module from the VY SS without any issues? As far as I know the ABS control modules in VX Berlina's and VY SS's are made by the same manufacturer, and should be identical, but I just thought that I'd better check and make sure, so I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm that for me?

Thanks in advance guys

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you will disable the TC but the ABS work a scan tool will show DTC78 incompatible module
you need to match the last 3 digits of the part number 273 004 ???

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
I didn't actually think that I could cross pins to check error codes, because they're both Gen 3 (LS1) engines. I was under the impression that you could only do that with the V6/Ecotec engines.

The control module that I'm being sent actually has Traction Control, and my Berlina has Traction Control, so I thought that it should work as long as the ABS control module was made by the same manufacturer, but maybe I'm wrong??

ogie1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S-Pack
not to sure about crossing the pins in an LS1, you would have to get another opinion on that, i honestly thought you could, but i would err on the side of caution in this case. you could always go to a wreckers and get the right component to do a swap out, it seems better than trying to use car parts which will most likely be incompatible and end up causing you more trouble in the long run.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Yeah I'm 99% certain that you can't bridge the pins on a vehicle fitted with an LS1/Gen 3 engine at all, at least it won't allow you to access the engine error codes, because I had to replace an oil pressure sensor a while back, and I couldn't diagnose what was wrong, because I couldn't check the engine error codes, but maybe it's different with the ABS system, and it'll allow you to retrieve those error codes.

I'm very, very confident that it it's the ABS control module that's stuffed though, because when it does act up, it's affecting so many different things, that are all directly related to the ABS module, so if it's not that, then I'd think that it's the ECU, or if I'm lucky it's the BCM, and I don't even wanna entertain the thought of what a new ECU might cost.

I don't think that it's the BCM at all, because a lot of the things that are BCM controlled, like central locking and the immobiliser, are, or seem to be working fine, and I don't think that something like a faulty wheel speed sensor would cause the ABS system to report so many things to be not working.

I've done a fair bit of reading up on what to look for with a faulty ABS control module, and my car seems to be doing all of it, right down to perfection

I'm kind of damned if I do, and damned if don't with the replacement ABS control module that I'm being sent, because I don't have the part number for it, but I'd spoken to local wrecker during the week, and they'd said that as long as it was a Gen 3/LS1 and the module had Traction Control, then it'd be ok, but then I'd seen a couple of different posts on the net about different manufacturers being incompatible, so I'm kind of in no mans land

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
I just rang a local wreckers and they said that as long as the ABS control module that I'm getting, has come off an ABS module from a VT/VX/VY that has the 2 lines coming out of the back of the module, like mine has, then I should be fine.

Apparently as long as both parts are from a VT/VX/VY, and they both have traction control, then they I only need to make sure that they've both got either 1 line, or 2 lines coming out of the back of the ABS module, and mine, and the replacement module have the 2 lines coming out of the back of the module, so it should hopefully be fine

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
They are incorrect and quite honestly they sound like idiots, the VYSS module is different.

You will find the TRAC CTRL is disabled when you install the VY unit.

When you remove the module, you will find that there is a bar-coded BOSCH label on the bottom.

One that will work in your car will end in either 389 or 486, the VY units I have seen end in 590, they are much more common and will not work correctly in a VX 5.7.

As far as your original issue, I can't tell but it doesn't sound like a faulty unit.

If your module is indeed faulty keep an eye on ebay, the best prices I have seen come up for 389 or 486 is around $100 - they usually go for more and most parts recyclers are aware that they are harder to find and their price reflects this.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Thanks mpower, I really appreciate mate, so will a module that ends in 389 or 486 both work in my car, or does it have to match whatever the code is on the unit that comes out of my car?

I'm guessing that if the VY SS module is a unit that ends in 590, that there's probably more things to watch for other than the traction control being disabled, is that right, and what else will be incompatible?

Do all of the VY SS units end in 590, or is it just the majority of them? I have no way of checking it now, because it's on it's way to being sent to me, but when it gets here, if it ends with 590 then I'll see if a wrecker will swap the part over

Thanks again mate

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
The only thing faulty is the electrical control/sensor which is the black part of the ABS module its held on by x6 T15 (not sure exact size) screws.
to take off disconnect the power plug by pulling the red tab towards the engine keep it horizontal as you pull it out, and undo the screws, you can opt for a second hand or the better recon unit on ebay, you do not need to take off the hydraulic silver part.

Edit. also loosen the 13mm bolt so you can pull back the unit for Clearance to the bottom screws.