Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Commodore 2002 running rough Changed a few things

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
My car is running roughly since then I have done the following.
Plugs and Leads
cleaned air filter right through to the throttle body with crc cleaner.
replaced all three coil packs and the module plate underneath.
then I had a mechanic look over it to be told my harness is no good. Bullshit !
I then got a second hand fuel rail and injectors and replaced them.
now I didnt put new rubber gasket to the air intake or the the gasket to the intake manifold .
I did put it back together and started it to find out it was running better but still had a miss.
I do now have power and I assume I now need to change those gaskets due to a possible air leak.
If this doesnt work Is there any other things it could be apart from an oxygen sensor or a buggered front harness.

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
I do not have fuel going into cylinder 3 i can take the wiring off injector 3 and still runs the same. i do however have spark to number 3 ..
Comon you fellas give me some real feedback..

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You may have a stuffed injector being it second hand, the ecu may not be firing it or the wiring may be faulty.
Place one end of a piece of hose on the injector and the other end to your ear while the engine is running and listen for a ticking sound.
If no tick is heard, it's either a faulty injector or the wiring to it may be faulty. If there's no tick, you could swap it with another good injector. If that ticks you've eliminated bad wiring an have a bad injector.

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
You may have a stuffed injector being it second hand, the ecu may not be firing it or the wiring may be faulty.
Place one end of a piece of hose on the injector and the other end to your ear while the engine is running and listen for a ticking sound.
If no tick is heard, it's either a faulty injector or the wiring to it may be faulty. If there's no tick, you could swap it with another good injector. If that ticks you've eliminated bad wiring an have a bad injector.
Sweet on it now . .

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
okay its all ticking all of them but still missing .
the injectors came off a running car so im gob smacked and not thinking crook injector.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You sure it's not getting fuel??
It may be spark as in a crook lead, bad plug or something.
If you have a timing light, hook it up to the lead on the bad cylinder and see if there is a strong constant flash on the light.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Doubt if it's fuse or relay related, as these control the whole system in the engine management

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
ive taken the plug out and started the car there was spark at the new plug . the leads are new . i did get the old lead and put it on and the same thing keeps happening.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Compression test?
Leakdown test?
Is the plug wet if you remove it after a quick start? (not long enough for the engine to get upto temp)
Tried reefing on/wiggling the engine harness around that side of the engine to see if it makes any difference?

And as above, if it was fuse or relay related then none of the injectors would be working.

Checked for fault codes?
Some, like a cam position sensor will make it run a bit rough but not light up the CEL

Last edited:

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
Today i had the computer on it . Its running Lean .
Suspect injectors .. so ive brought a new set exchanged .
I will put them in later today .
If this still is a problem will be going to do gaskets on the intake manifold. If it is still there im going to remove parts i think i could sell and put it in my car crusher and turn it into a little block.