Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx getting hot at idle

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Hey folks how is it? I not long got a vx V6 as had overheating problem when I got it the old fella said it got hot on him once an parked it he thinks he didn't cook it warp the heads.So I replaced Lim gasket an flushed system few times as was slight film in coolent. Problem now is under idle it will heat up an themos won't cool it down don't have bubbles in rad an seems to be holding coolent,I'm leaning towards water pump now not head gasket only because as soon as I rev it up the temp drops. any ideas would be great

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
You've got a blockage 100%. If you only just got it and went to the trouble of doing LIM, get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, cap and do hoses same time. All cheap and will rule out any issue with cooling system. Take out reservoir and flush out, guarantee will be filled with ****.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You've got a blockage 100%. If you only just got it and went to the trouble of doing LIM, get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, cap and do hoses same time. All cheap and will rule out any issue with cooling system. Take out reservoir and flush out, guarantee will be filled with ****.
Cheers bud radiator I know is good as was only reason I bought the car because my vt had split it's tank day after I ordered a new alloy one! Ran fine in the vt for 2 weeks.will go through it all but as got it for parts but it's too clean to pull apart being second owner and old farmers town car he called it an would like to get it back on the road

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Drop out the knock sensors and flush the block too. The block jackets build up sludge if not looked after.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Bubbles in the coolant can mean head gasket

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Drop out the knock sensors and flush the block too. The block jackets build up sludge if not looked after.
Rodger will give it a shot as was bit chunky on first flush done heater box also a few times, will replace water pump etc an go from there

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bubbles in the coolant can mean head gasket
I don't have bubbles otherwise I would have gone for head gaskets but heads could be cracked etc just trying cheapest parts to replace first!!

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I'd be checking the cooling fans as well.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I don't have bubbles otherwise I would have gone for head gaskets but heads could be cracked etc just trying cheapest parts to replace first!!
Opps, my reading comprehension failed me

Have you done a chemical flush, like Rislone?

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be checking the cooling fans as well.
One kicks in at 104 an the second at 107 or if air con is on did note flap test for air flow they are pulling the air through an they shut off once I rev it for a bit