Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Handbrake

tara1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S-Pack commodore
I have just been told by my mechanic that my handbrake shoe needs replacing - basically the handbrake is not working at all atm and they have quoted me $475 to get fixed. Is this something that can be fixed easily with a Gregory's? or is it woth paying to get fixed? Any suggestions much appreciated :thumbsup:

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
vx hanbrake

I have just been told by my mechanic that my handbrake shoe needs replacing - basically the handbrake is not working at all atm and they have quoted me $475 to get fixed. Is this something that can be fixed easily with a Gregory's? or is it woth paying to get fixed? Any suggestions much appreciated :thumbsup:
okay i dont know much about the setup but i changed my rear disc and pads in my vx 11,the shoe system dosent look that complicated,probaly $60,00 for parts and a hour labour ,have you had the hand brake adjusted at the rear, you can also adjust it in the cabin on the lever ,i personally think you are be screwed get a gregorys like i have and it tells how **** easy it is to do:drink::drink:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Which state are you in?

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Why did the handbrake shoes wear out? Unless you drive with the handbrake on they should last quite a long time.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

It's not worth paying that kind of money, that's ridiculous. Get some more qoutes. I doubt your shoes are worn out unless, as stated you drive with the hand brake on. but there is a warning light and chime to prevent that. It probably just needs adjusting.
How did the mechanic come to the conclusion that you need new shoes, did he pull the rotors off to check?

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
I've got a VY S pack ute that desperately needs the handbrake tightened, no idea how to do it on these though, can anyone help? Dead easy on my Kingswood and VS, just tighten the cable!
From what I can see on here they can be tightened on the lever in the cab as well as on the brakes themselves/ Any one got any further info...?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Handbrakes shouldn't be adjusted by the cable, they should be adjusted at the shoes. Loosen the cable first, then remove the rear rotor and wind the adjuster up a few clicks until the rotor is a tight fit but still turns. Do this on both sides. Then adjust the cable until the lever comes up about 5 or 6 clicks.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
You can do it with the rotors still on there is a small rubber bung that you pull out where the wheel mounts up and have that hole somewhere down the bottom and if you look through the hole you will be able to see a wheel with notches on it.. if not rotate the disc backwards and forth till you see it

Slide a screwdriver in and rotate the little wheel in one direction will tighten the shoes just till they start to grip then back off the wheel 2-3 clicks then repeat for other side and as a final adjustment you can do the cable at the lever in the cab with a 10mm deep wall socket.. As said above