Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 - Oil in Coolant & reservoir

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I checked my coolant and it was very discoloured, appeared to have traces of oil in it and after checking the dip stick from the reservoir it was covered with dark oily stuff especially at the bottom. I've read crappy Inner Manifold Gaskets can cause this or maybe the auto transmission tank has split inside the radiator since I'm not sure if its the engine or tranny oil but the car is running fine not overheating and the auto feels normal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Cheers.

camtech

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged vt and vy on 20's
i just pulled heads off mine cos of that and found cracked cyl head. put new yella terra heads on and good time to port out s/c housing while its apart. Is there a milky buildup under your oilcap and radiator cap?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I checked my oil dipstick and oil cap and there's no signs of any milky substances the oil appears normal colour. I think it's fairly common for this to happen with the SC6 since the Inlet Manifold Gasket is a crappy plastic POS.

camtech

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged vt and vy on 20's
are you still using the genuine coolant with the tablets because it can get real messy with some age

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
lim gasket... go to yella terra and buy a metal one :)

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
So it's the Inlet Manifold Gasket then? Or more precisely the Lower Inlet Manifold Gasket? I'll pick it up from Yella Terra then, is there any special way to drain the system of all the oil? Cheers.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Intake manifold gasket for sure. Change it over, use Hylomar or Permatex on teh gasket and make sure you use the 3 GM radiator pellets in the coolant. These will help seal up any minor leaks.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
When changing over the gasket get Felpro gaskets. Those things are awesome! I know one that lasted 28 years in a performance vehicle, the only reason it didn't last any longer was because the engine was totally rebuilt.

I use felpro in my L67 when i did a head gasket and not one problem with the Felpro.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I was gonna go to Yella Terra and ask them about their metal ones? Are those the best option?

buzuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon S1
could be the radiator, my mates did the same thing in a vx, trans oil was slowly getting into coolant