Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 - Oil in Coolant & reservoir

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Federal-Mogul - Fel-Pro Head Gaskets

They're the only gasket manfacturer i trust for my vehicle. Rocker cover gaskets were put on before i got the chance of choosing the ones i wanted on them! :( Was part of the RWC i needed by the next day :( And yes, i know they're more expensive than most, but definatly worth it.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hey everyone. The same thing has happened to my car recently. I've noticed oil starting to get into the coolant. I've been keeping an eye on things and there's no milky sludge under the oil cap and the oil still seems fine. Transmission fluid is normal too.

Anyway I priced a new LIM gasket set through Holden at $165. New supercharged gasket is $45. I can get the metal LIM gaskets and s/c gasket them from the U.S for $90AUD (not including postage). Anyone got any prices from other suppliers that might be work looking at? How much are the LIM gaskets from YT?

Cheers.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I just picked up the Metal LIM gaskets from YT for $150. They had the Supercharger gasket too for $60 but I'll get that later of a mate. I will change the radiator, thermostat, LIM gasket, Super gasket, clean out the reserve tank and clean out the intake/charger as much as possible this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I just picked up the Metal LIM gaskets from YT for $150. They had the Supercharger gasket too for $60 but I'll get that later of a mate. I will change the radiator, thermostat, LIM gasket, Super gasket, clean out the reserve tank and clean out the intake/charger as much as possible this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

I called YT on Monday morning for a price on the Metal LIM gasket and was told $209 (incl $12 postage).

Hey Bull, if you don't mind would it be possible to take a few photos and post in this thread or the how too section? I'll be curious to know if the problem is the LIM gasket or if there's a problem with the radiator/trans cooler lines.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah mate I'll try take some pics with my phone. Oh and don't ever go to Repco or any of those places, they gave me the wrong thermostat, gasket and rad cap, went to Holden and picked the proper L67 parts which were even to my surprise way cheaper than Repco. I picked up the metal LIM gaskets at the Moorabbin YT store. You can also get them of Holden since it's a GM product, the supercharger gasket was $47 from Holden.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Yeah mate I'll try take some pics with my phone. Oh and don't ever go to Repco or any of those places, they gave me the wrong thermostat, gasket and rad cap, went to Holden and picked the proper L67 parts which were even to my surprise way cheaper than Repco. I picked up the metal LIM gaskets at the Moorabbin YT store. You can also get them of Holden since it's a GM product, the supercharger gasket was $47 from Holden.

Awesome. I'm looking at doing mine in the next few weeks. Hoping to order the LIM gasket set, yellow o-rings and s/c gasket from ZZ Performance in the US. Just a matter of working out shipping costs.

You're right about REPCO being expensive too and their staff don't seem to be as knowledgable as they used to be. Last year when I asked for a thermostat gasket the manager kept trying to tell me the only gasket was the rubber o-ring. I said that already came attached because I had a new genuine GMH thermostat. I just wanted the paper gasket and he kept telling me it didn't exist. Then I said "well what was the s*** that I had scrape off the thermostat housing?"

I've actually found Autobarn to be quite reasonable for parts prices.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Gona do it this Saturday. My mate reckons to make the most of it and get some Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and clean out the manifold to it's nice and prestine along with the throttle body and everything else. I just have to find out the torque settings for the manifold when putting it back together.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Don't forget to change the $8 coolant u bend hose that adjoins the thermostat housing. Don't want to go back for that baby later. Too much **** in the way lol

Oh I forgot, you have to slot a cam in it too since you're already half way there

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Exec. Wagon
Hey so my car blew it's heater tap the other day and pissed fluid out all over the road. Wasn't nice, and I was towed to my mechanic who replaced the tap.

Now...The liquid that was all over the road was oily as anything and I thought at first that I had some sort of transmission fluid leak or something because it wasn't thick enough to be engine oil and it didn't look like bright green coolant.

Is this likely to be what I'm having happen too? Oil leaking into my coolant? I've had head gaskets go on cars before and had the old milky crappy oil thing, but that's not happening here.

I've noticed that when my car shifts the last few days since it happened that it seems a bit rougher, but the trans fluid level seemed ok when I checked it.

My mechanic had said to me that some gasket was leaking and that 90% of commodores they see in there are leaking oil from there and didn't seem to think it was that big a deal. I'm pretty sure he said it was some sort of manifold gasket.

So is it likely that that leak is what's getting into my oil? Or could it be transmission fluid? When the heater tap blew and the liquid was squirting onto the engine it STANK when it was burning off.

How huge a job is it to replace that gasket if it's needing done?

Man my car just seems like it's going from worse to REALLY worse lately :(