Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 - Oil in Coolant & reservoir

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah just check your coolant reservoir, once the oil gets in there it stays down and forms a brown sludge, it won't get back into your cooling system since it's quite a bit heavier than coolant.

I first also thought that possibly the tranny oil is mixing with the coolant but my auto seemed ok. Today I took off the supercharger and the manifold and pulled off the old gaskets and to my surprise they looked ok with only one edge on the gasket that looked suspect, what caught my attention however was how loose the bloody manifold gasket screws were, this could have caused the oil to mix with the coolant galleries. I can clearly see sludge inside the coolant galleries now too so the oil definitely got in there, I guess it only takes a bit of a gap and it comes in.

I'll have some pics of the gaskets up soon but I'm very confident that it was the loose LIM or the gasket that caused this, I'm changing the radiator anyway so there's no real way to find out but after seeing all the sludge on the galleries after taking the LIM off I'm convinced it was the gasket despite the fact that they didn't look too bad.

It's a decent job, took us 2.5 hours to get the throttle body, supercharger and LIM completely off. Tomorow, we'll clean it out nicely, clean out the throttle body, LIM and everything else around it, torque everything to precision, fill up the coolant and drain it. Also changing that U-bend and the thermostat while I'm at it. Pictures might be a tad crap since we were working on it at night but tomorrows shots should be better.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I have some pictures that I'll put up as soon as I find my phone cable.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Any update on those pics?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
The pics came out pretty bad cause my phone sucks but you can clearly see where the gasket gave way.

21032009081.jpg

21032009082.jpg

21032009083.jpg

22032009084.jpg

22032009085.jpg

22032009086.jpg

22032009088.jpg

22032009089.jpg