Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Overheating Issue

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
hey guys....my car is having an intermittent overheating issue....it happened a few months back where it overheated just out of the blue..then i let it sit for an hour...and the issue seemed to have gone.....just for peice of mind, i flushed the radiator and whatnot...thought that fixed it as it has been a few months since it happened....last night and today it started again...but this time i noticed that the car starts idling rough when it is starting to overheat....so im thinking it might be the waterpump seizing up....any ideas guys??

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
Bingo....its either water pump with a empellar issue....or a seizing up....
or a themostate...
since you said the overheat even now happens at night ...look at both..carefully by replacing both

also look and check for welsh plugs that may be leaking under high pressure or hot water...
and that means check the rad..and overflow tank ..the inside heater core and all pipework ...

dont drive the thing till your sort it out., its not worth wrecking a engine to keep going .....

if the car engin is 10 years or 200k plus kms old.....rip that pump out ...
and make sure when you bleed the system...
1/2 coolant and 1/2 water back.....
empellars rust away due to not enough coolant changes and the right amount of inhibation....
also dont well under stress of having worn stretched belts......

at night or in the rain....you car engine should shed off temp..and get cooler...and that 1st mark is how cool they can get...
and stay given the right conditions...
but normally just under the icon markings...
and under load section 2 if that...

:) hope this helps...:)

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
well i checked the waterpump...absolutely no chance that its seizing up....so now ive taken the thermostat out....how do i actually test that the thermostat is working?

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
well i checked the waterpump...absolutely no chance that its seizing up....so now ive taken the thermostat out....how do i actually test that the thermostat is working?

Put it it boiling water see if it opens up??

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
thermostat

carefully place the thermostat in a pot of boiling water and watch the valve. It should open about 2cm Take it out and place in cold water. It should shut fairly quickly

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
ok i boiled the kettle.....put the thermostat in the water....and it didnt open.....soo its a dud? how accurate is this method?

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
this method is extremly good and if it didn't open that is your problem mate, when your coolent gets hot it opens the termostat to let coolent go round to the radiator to be cooled ... hence cooling the engine ... but if that dosn't happen cause it dosn't open it just cooks the coolent

new thermostat mate =)

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
It's spot-on. New themostat required.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
beautiful....thanks for your help guys...