Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX S diff change - not your normal.

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
Hey guys,
Just wondering about changing the diff on my vx s. Its got a standard slippy diff and would like to upgrade to a lsd
while im there, i would be interested in feedback/advice about changing the ratio.
if its 3.08:1 (guessing?) and i do heaps of long boring highway driving and want to bring the revs down, is it possible to
get a higher diff gear such as 2.9 or higher? Ive had a quick look round the website and a few others and havnt seen anything as most seem to want to go the other way for better acceleration. I dont do drag racing so its not a biggy.
In saying this, would my fuel consumption be any different or am i thinking too simply in that engine running slower = less fuel? Currently in 5th at 100kph it sits at about
2300+/- and this is higher than my vr which was round 2000+/-
Is there any other options out there?
Thanks for your help.

87LAG

BOOSTED 6 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2 AUTO RAPTORCHARGED
mate in my auto 6 i went from 3.08 non lsd to a 3.46 lsd from a ss revs picked up about 200rpm @100kmh but was better on fuel. . . . i wouldn got a longer ratio like your thinking as it may labour the motor more being more hungry on the fuel. i would prob suggest to stay with wat you have honestly and just get a lsd

my two cents hope it helps

cheers

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I agree with 87LAG. If your at cruising speed pulling low revs in an overdrive gear, it would only take a slight incline to put load on the engine which could make it use more fuel. I think the 3.08s are set up perfectly for highway driving in these cars

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
Yep, couldn't agree more. The LSD will most likely be 3.07 - bee's willy different to the open wheeler but yep, perfectly set up for the task. If you went to a six speed manual, maybe different story but v6 auto leave it as it is.

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
Ok thanks for that advice guys appreciated. mines a 5spd manual not a auto if that makes any difference, but i definitely see where you are coming from.
is there a stock VX S lsd that was put out or only aftermarket stuff?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
There was stock LSD's in the SS and HSV models as well as some others. As far as i know VT S2-VY will all be a straight swap.
They should have a tag telling you if its an lsd and if your unsure its not hard to check it yourself by turning an axle and seeing what the other one does

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
Groovy ill see if the local guys have one sitting around. if its not too expensive might see if they can bang it in when it goes for scheduled service. coolies thanks.

Rano11

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vx executive s2 vx v6
2300????

Your car sits on 2300rpm in 5th doing 100kph ???
Thats high mate" my stock vx sits on 1800rpm doing 100kph in 4th / 4 spd auto

Rano11

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vx executive s2 vx v6
Also mate, if you are mechanically minded tis not hard to change the diff yourself"

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
gudday Rano11
yeh it ticks me off that it runs so fast. autos run slower, and my old vr ran slower as well at the same speed.
cheers for the heads up bout it not being hard - sadly im not that mechanically minded or brave enough to have a crack myself.

at the mo its all waaaaaaaay back on the burner cos we bought a house instead. priorities eh?