Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss faults

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Gidday id just like to share what happened with my car today and ask for information on a couple of issues :)
Firstly I was sitting at the lights the car was warm when I went to take off it was like there was a huge blockage somewhere it surged and backfired and threatened to stall as soon as I got clear I pulled over and the engine stopped when it dropped back to idle. It was extremely hard to start again but when it did it ran fine. This happened another 2 or 3 times during the afternoon I checked connections disconnected the battery for a while but at random intervals it kept doing it ( at the most inopportune times like in the drive through or passing parked funstoppers) I put it on the scan tool and it turned out the coolant temp sensor was reading -39 deg?? This was causing the injectors to dump a heap of fuel to compensate then realise that wasnt right so shut it right off thus causing the surging and bunny hopping (not just my clutch foot) I didnt realise this was possible. It turned out the plug on the back of the sensor was faulty and upon replacement it was back to normal again. Anyway and a pretty long winded way around too my apologies the scan tool also bought up that the map sensor wasnt functioning properly but the car still ran beautiful (after the coolant sensor was fixed) so what difference is there in the info the maff sensor sends back to the info the map sensor does? And can the car continue running well without the map sensor? I know with a tune it can without the maff sensor but wasnt aware it could the other way around. Sorry for the ramble but would be interested in any info anyone can supply on this :) cheers.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Did you clear all the codes when you did the coolant temp sensor? the map sensor error could have been triggered by the backfire or rough running. Have you tried clearing the code and seeing if it re-occurs? and what the engine is doing when it occurs?

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Yep the code was cleared several times and just kept coming up again the car was just idling normally and ran smooth all the way home. Id recently removed the intake manifold for cleaning and may have damaged a wire or something in the process though it all looked normal I cleaned the plug which was in good condition so im assuming its the sensor itself. But nothing about the way the car is running seems different without it.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
i'd check the wiring, make sure its all good as far as you can trace it, beyond that its likely that the sensor is broken. The car won't run badly or much differently because the computer is smart and if its thinks that the sensor is broken it will stop listening to it and just use the other sensors to run the engine. So maybe get a cheap one from a wrecker, see if the problem changes, if that fixes it then you know your issue.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Cheers mate ill do that ive got the intake manifold off at the mo giving it a good clean it was pretty gunked up including the map sensor all the wiring looks pretty good tho so ill put it back together and see what happens I guess. Is it worth doing the knock sensors while ive got it off do you think? I haven't had the car long and the previous owner had lost interest so im just working my way through what seems like a never ending list of jobs to get it back to scratch at the mo but its the first ls1 ive owned so im just sort of doing it and learning as I go, the net is an amazing tool lol. Cheers.

ant.1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx ss
G'day where'd you get the sensor plug from and is this something u can replace yourself as mine does the same and it's only since sensor was broken that this has been happening yQUOTE=Ses;2577785]Gidday id just like to share what happened with my car today and ask for information on a couple of issues :)
Firstly I was sitting at the lights the car was warm when I went to take off it was like there was a huge blockage somewhere it surged and backfired and threatened to stall as soon as I got clear I pulled over and the engine stopped when it dropped back to idle. It was extremely hard to start again but when it did it ran fine. This happened another 2 or 3 times during the afternoon I checked connections disconnected the battery for a while but at random intervals it kept doing it ( at the most inopportune times like in the drive through or passing parked funstoppers) I put it on the scan tool and it turned out the coolant temp sensor was reading -39 deg?? This was causing the injectors to dump a heap of fuel to compensate then realise that wasnt right so shut it right off thus causing the surging and bunny hopping (not just my clutch foot) I didnt realise this was possible. It turned out the plug on the back of the sensor was faulty and upon replacement it was back to normal again. Anyway and a pretty long winded way around too my apologies the scan tool also bought up that the map sensor wasnt functioning properly but the car still ran beautiful (after the coolant sensor was fixed) so what difference is there in the info the maff sensor sends back to the info the map sensor does? And can the car continue running well without the map sensor? I know with a tune it can without the maff sensor but wasnt aware it could the other way around. Sorry for the ramble but would be interested in any info anyone can supply on this :) cheers.[/QUOTE]

ant.1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx ss
G'day where'd you get the sensor plug from and is this something u can replace yourself as mine does the same and it's only since sensor was broken that this has been happening

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
....... so what difference is there in the info the maff sensor sends back to the info the map sensor does? And can the car continue running well without the map sensor? I know with a tune it can without the maff sensor but wasnt aware it could the other way around. ...............

Service CD for DTC32 - Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor out of range says:

"The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor measures the flow of air which passes through in a given time. The PCM uses this information to monitor the operating condition of the engine for fuel delivery calculations. A large quantity of air movement indicates acceleration, while a small quantity indicates deceleration or idle............ With DTC 32 set, the PCM will use a default value for air flow based on throttle position, and engine speed and some vehicle performance will return. When DTC 32 is set the MIL "Check Powertrain Lamp" will be illuminated."

I take that to mean you are probably getting less than optimum performance but your idle should be OK.