Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss ignition jammed after changing bulb.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Gidday im after a bit of advice. This afternoon I removed my indicator stalk to give the contacts and switches a clean to keep it going until I can replace it. While I was there I took off the ignition barrel surround to replace the little green bulb that had blown. After I put it all back together the key wont turn in the ignition its like the steering lock is jammed on the key wont move at all. Ive read all the other threads about ignition barrels stuffing up but they sound like it happens gradually and ive never had any issues whatsoever with the key jamming or the car not starting before. Im not sure what ive done wrong but from what ive read it doesnt sound very likely it just went from fine to completely stuck. Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated as im stumped...cheers :)

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Sorry just to add its a manual.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is the ring pushed completely back on flush. If it is sticking out a bit it might not allow the key to fully enter the barrel.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Yep ive tried it all sorts of ways mate but no change. Should the key turn with the rubber surround and metal contacts removed?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
on my key ignition the ring bit lights up but you can push the ring thing inwards and it springs back out
my key goes in all the way to the base of the black bit and that metal knobby bit touches that ring
and turns the key without any problem

there have been a few posts about iginition barrel problems on VT/VX but not like yours

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Yep ive read most of them I think, this is just random im at a loss lol. Its always been fine I cant figure out what ive wrecked.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't think anything you did could have caused the problem, it could be purely coincidental. Have you tried to move the steering wheel to take the pressure of the steering lock?

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Yep I centered the wheel until I felt the pressure come off the barrel and tried again but no good unfortunately. Looks like ill be calling the locksmith in the morning I guess one positive is it happened in my driveway and not in the middle of town somewhere. Thanks for your input guys much appreciated :) ill update tomorrow night when I know what happened.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Turns out it was just a coincidence I spent ages trying to free the barrel with no luck then I rang a locksmith this morning and he told me to push in on the centerpiece that the key goes into while I turned it and jiggled the key in and out 2mm or so at a time. It worked!! Ill have to replace the barrel but at least I didnt have to pay the $260 the locksmith quoted me to come and fix it lol.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
This afternoon I removed my indicator stalk to give the contacts and switches a clean to keep it going until I can replace it.
Did you clean the key barrel with anything? (A solvent perhaps?)
Just thinking the tumblers might be sticking or dry. A little squirt of graphite powder might free things up.
Only a tiny bit though and make sure the key's contact with the ring around the ignition is really clean.
Whatever you do don't lubricate the barrel with oil....gums everything up.