Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss ls1 fuel economy

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I get 450kms Before fuel light comes on, thats all around town and after a tune. Only did about 375-400 beforehand.

Highrisedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss
Hi guys I got. A 2003 vy ss auto mods are extractors high flow cats hot dogs 3.9 gears and 3: exhaust it seems to be sucking a lot of fuel and I don't no why. When I turn it off and half hour later turn it on the gauge moves down abit. Don't no what's going on any ideas to what it might be I no it's not the cluster because iv changed it 3 times. Please let me no on my page thank u Matt as I'm only new to this

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
around 14l/100km ####ing Auckland traffic and road works. Also ####ing heavy right foot.

Tuned with CAI, headers, decat and dual 2.5 inch to 3 inch rear.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
get a tune and you'll see better fuel economy than an ecotec. im speaking from experience. city its marginally better, highway its so good, i have seen it in the high 6L's per hundred but not unusual to hover in the high 7's low 8's.

So 930+ km to a tank, why buy a hybrid or a diesel!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Had my VX SS from new and it has always returned mid to high teens 14 to 16 l/100km around town even seen 18 or so in heavy traffic, but around the 10 l/100km on the highway, stock standard no mods. Only proper way to work it out is to fill the tank and record the km traveled over a several tanks of fuel.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Hi guys I got. A 2003 vy ss auto mods are extractors high flow cats hot dogs 3.9 gears and 3: exhaust it seems to be sucking a lot of fuel and I don't no why.

When was it last serviced ?
When were the fuel filter and the air filter last replaced. If it's been a while, there would be a good place to start.
Wouldn't hurt to get the injectors serviced either to make sure they are still operating within spec

My 1 Tonner is stock except for 18" Monaro rims, 1-3/4' pacemaker extractors with 3" outlets, hi-flow cats and a twin 2-1/2" Manta stainless steel system with dual hotdogs going into a single rear resonator with twin outlets.
I average 12-15L/100 in and around town and have seen it as high as 20L/100. It all depends on how heavy the right foot is.
I have had it down as low as 10L/100 on the highway but with the legal speed limit being 130km/h on most of the highway up here.......That doesn't happen to often

Don't know how many km's I get to a tank, I just fuel up when it gets down to a 1/4.
If I was worried about fuel consumption I would have bought a 2wd Hilux instead of a V8 1 Tonner.

Last edited:

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
My vu ute gets about 430 from a tank, mixed driving. I think the tanks 62ltrs.

The vx clubby i had with a cam and sloppy converter would get about 280 from a tank.
Could just about watch the guage go down as you drive. haha.

Stock ls1's get good economy imo. Never had a 6cyl commodore and wouldnt bother.
Not that they arent any good but the ls1's a good little economical v8.