Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX TO VS engine transplant help????

thesanchez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CLUBSPORT
so i need advice from someone who knows wha they are on about...

i have a v6 buick with a T5 behind it, i have just picked up a series 2 v6 ecotec motor from a VX .

what i need to know is will my T5 bolt up to this motor? if not, is there a transfer case that will make it bolt up?

Also do i have to put a vs plennum on?

anything else i need to do?
cheers

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd

i have a v6 buick with a T5 behind it, i have just picked up a series 2 v6 ecotec motor from a VX .
Kool
what i need to know is will my T5 bolt up to this motor? if not, is there a transfer case that will make it bolt up?
the vs s1 ecotec came with a t5 so it will bolt straight up, Aslong as you have a buick vn s2 onwards motor than flywheel will fit 2 just needs to be balanced to vx driveplate.
The ecotec is the same block, repco sells them (reco i think) to suit vs-vy no manifolds for an arm and a leg

Unsure trying to find out myself

work out what computer and tune/ecu to run vs auto/manual sequential/ maf or map?
cheers

thesanchez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CLUBSPORT
ok, so from what ur saying i can bolt up my T5 to my vx ecotec motor aslong as i get a balanced flywheel to suit.

in regards to the ecu and loom, i was under the impression i have to hunt down a VX manual ecu and a VX manual engine loom to suit. im a bit unsure about the maf or map sensor though?

p.s. thanx for this.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No, the VX ECU gear won't work in the VS. Get The VS loom and ECU.

thesanchez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CLUBSPORT
No, the VX ECU gear won't work in the VS. Get The VS loom and ECU.

ok so im a little confused, can you explained to me how a VS engine loom will hook up to a VX ecotec motor...if i am putting a VX ecotec motor in then wouldnt i HAVE to have a VX engine loom and computer then?

Last edited:

dan202

ITZ A PIG
Reaction score
Members Ride
I HOT VR
ok u have a vs they run ecotecs ull have to run a series 1 vs engine loom and ecu there are many things different the 8 bolt flywheel of anything vn series 2 and up wil work when balanced u just use the vs plenum, the temp sender for the dash in a vx plenum is part of the ecu sensor and the vs run their own separate sensor u can tap a hole in the plenum for the sender but its easier to change the manifold and most of the external bits and peices maybe canister purge and the throttle body to vs and the oxy sensors they maybe 2 wire sensors and u need 4 wire ones when u put it together ull notice lots of little things, in my case i had a vx t5 setup in a vn with a vs auto loom choped and joined to rum with a bcm simulator then i put all of that into my vr the hardest part was changing the body loom to vs stato if u need anymore help just message me, im just working the bugs out of mine now

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Confused yet ? :)

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE

cheers
The title say VX to VS ?
So do you have a VS V6 already ? What engine & transmission are in it at present ?

A T5 & Bellhousing will bolt up to a Ecotec engine no probs.

If you don't already have one a Series I ('95) VS T5 manual flywheel & clutch set up will work best. As the balance of that is already done for you. This will bolt straight up to you VX ecotec engine. Something of interest for you is early T5 flywheels had a different balance mass (less) compared to later ('95 VS V6) T5 flywheels (more). So less chance of bad vibrations showing up if you use the later one or an equivalent kit.

The VX plenum/LIM is fine no problems at all, just need to (as mentioned already) drill & tap a hole for a temp sender to run you dash gauge. Very easy to do really & less work than changing the whole plenum/LIM over too.

With the Loom/ECU you should have the right one already if you have a VS ? Will probably just need to get a memcal for a manual sorted if it is an auto.
Woops ! Theres a thought. If it is a auto loom in yours then you going to need to change to a manual loom OR modify yours to suit the manual gearbox.

More info once we know what you have ?

Cheers

Deek

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
ok so im a little confused, can you explained to me how a VS engine loom will hook up to a VX ecotec motor...if i am putting a VX ecotec motor in then wouldnt i HAVE to have a VX engine loom and computer then?

The VS Ecotec and the VX Ecotec are essentially the same engine, that's why. Good luck getting a VX ECU to run in a VS.

The post above describes it better.

thesanchez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CLUBSPORT
The title say VX to VS ?
So do you have a VS V6 already ? What engine & transmission are in it at present ?

A T5 & Bellhousing will bolt up to a Ecotec engine no probs.

If you don't already have one a Series I ('95) VS T5 manual flywheel & clutch set up will work best. As the balance of that is already done for you. This will bolt straight up to you VX ecotec engine. Something of interest for you is early T5 flywheels had a different balance mass (less) compared to later ('95 VS V6) T5 flywheels (more). So less chance of bad vibrations showing up if you use the later one or an equivalent kit.

The VX plenum/LIM is fine no problems at all, just need to (as mentioned already) drill & tap a hole for a temp sender to run you dash gauge. Very easy to do really & less work than changing the whole plenum/LIM over too.

With the Loom/ECU you should have the right one already if you have a VS ? Will probably just need to get a memcal for a manual sorted if it is an auto.
Woops ! Theres a thought. If it is a auto loom in yours then you going to need to change to a manual loom OR modify yours to suit the manual gearbox.

More info once we know what you have ?

Cheers

Deek

Cheers

so my current setup is this: i have a VS commo with a VR motor and t5 in it...the origianl ecotec was takin out and mtotr and gearbox from a VR was put it. so this is why ive gotten myself an ecotec as i want it back to a REAL vs.

so at the moment there is a VR manual loom and VR manual ecu running buick 3.8 and T5

From what ive learnt so far is that my current T5 will bolt up to my VX ecotec motor just aslong as i have my current flywheel thats on the car and also a VX manual flywheel so it can be balanced.

where im getting confused is that if i rip the buick motor out and drop the ecotec in shouldnt i have a manual loom and ecu from a VX to match the motor?.. or is a VS manual loom and ecu from a VS exactly the same as a VX?
i realise that the current loom and ecu i have wont work with the new ecotec. just need to know which to replace with.

p.s. is there a "how to" for the temp sender hole?

thanx heaps