Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx V6 Question

Pedro1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina s2
Hey, im pretty new to the forums but after being told by a friend about a plenum spacer and a Manifold Insulator and then looking them up on here im pretty keen on getting some, will these change the note of my exhaust, i have a redback 2.5 cat back.

should i also get a cold air intake?

Thanks, Pete

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Pete,

"im pretty new to the forums but after being told by a friend about a plenum spacer and a Manifold Insulator and then looking them up on here im pretty keen on getting some, will these change the note of my exhaust, i have a redback 2.5 cat back."
The spacers won't effect the exhaust note a considerable amount.

"should i also get a cold air intake"
These work well in combination with the manifold insulators/spacers and i would recommend fitting all 3 ( i have them all on my own car).

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Bart

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks, yeh if I didn't have piss poor Internet I would of done more.

Awesome thanks Bart, I'll be buying all three real soon.

No probs Pete,

Respectful questions are always welcomed here

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Pedro1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina s2
hey, i've been meaning to update this for a while,
I put in both my plenum spacer and manifold insulator in the other week, the instructions were good and i had a friend helping me who had recently done the same to his car, but it was still an annoying job to do.
when the car was finally right to drive i discovered that my fuel injector was leaky and to my annoyance i took the engine apart again and tried to see if i could get the injector in its slot properly, when i finished after a few hours ( i lost a bolt and spent half an hour finding it) it was still leaky and i had a strong smell of petrol inside the car and having my car run on 5 cylinders before (long story but turned out to be dirty fuel) i could tell that i wasn't running on 5 but i wasn't running on 6 cylinders either.

so after nursing my car for a week and finally getting it into the mechanics the injector had corrected itself and wasn't leaking at all which is good because that saved me some cash.

so the final results are a bit confusing, i think i can tell a difference when driving around but find it difficult to compare because i was nursing my car when it was leaky, so i would or rather spent the money for someone else to do it.

also i tried to install my cold air intake but when trying to remove a bolt where the rubber mount sits i rounded it off and couldn't get it out so i cracked it and put the old one in haha, so any ideas where i could take it to get it installed?

once i get my car running better because i need some hose clamps and can hear a rattling in the engine bay and can hear a hissing noise when i turn the enigne off, (i think its coming from the plenum chamber at the back because the hose there was loose from when i lifted the plenum up to put the insulator in) and the rattling might be the extra fuel filter the mechanics fitted when my injectors where blocked.

overall i can tell a slight difference but i want too get my car running perfect before i make up my mind,

thanks mace :)

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
once i get my car running better because i need some hose clamps and can hear a rattling in the engine bay and can hear a hissing noise when i turn the enigne off, (i think its coming from the plenum chamber at the back because the hose there was loose from when i lifted the plenum up to put the insulator in) and the rattling might be the extra fuel filter the mechanics fitted when my injectors where blocked.

overall i can tell a slight difference but i want too get my car running perfect before i make up my mind,

thanks mace :)

that leaky sound is the vacuum equalising after turning the car off - it's more noticable with the engine cover off and the CAI installed that's all. You should notice your power band has moved down a fair bit and you'll have a fair bit more torque down low.

I must say you're pretty stupid for driving a car around with a leaky injector smelling of petrol. What if the fuel had leaked down and onto the manifolds, ignited and blew you up along with surrounding people?
I suggest you get your mechanical work done by a professional from now on.