Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Wagon 3.8 Auto. RPM at 100kmh ?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
If the only thing that's changed is the box than the fault must lie somewhere in the box.

If it's commanding 4th but not shifting into 4th maybe some sort of fault with the solenoid or wiring loom for it?
Yes, good logic.

That would be um 'gearshift solenoid'?

Here's an extra that I don't know if it will confuse or clarify the thing. Last time I was out for a test I could feel 'something' like a faint gearchange but there was no actual shift.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Here's an extra that I don't know if it will confuse or clarify the thing. Last time I was out for a test I could feel 'something' like a faint gearchange but there was no actual shift.

I'm back to thinking it's a mechanical issue. See,
iu

IF you have first gear than both solenoids are working (see the chart) (are you sure you're not taking off in 2nd?).

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I've definitely got 2 gear changes and end up at at 2600rpm at 100kmh so that would be changes 1-2 2-3, and the 'ghost' change.

'Mechanical issue' would be in the box ?
The one that's 'rebuilt as new' and already taken apart and rechecked?

Something doesn't work and it's someone's job to work out why and fix it. Have it in mind to try to get back down there Wednesday.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Have just done some testing and now I reckon it is changing all gears but ending up at 2600rpm at 100kmh, which I'm putting down to the tune and never having noticed it before.

Remaining issue is the Engine light that re-appears after a run at 100kmh. It's already been cleared and come back. It was checked at the shop as a 'Shifting' code of some sort.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a Scan Tool and check it myself now and then and hope the car's NOT actually going to explode while I'm ignoring it. Sort of stuffs the car's value a bit too though.

Suggestions on the right Scantool and where to get it from and maybe how to stop it pointlessly throwing the light all the time please.

Last edited:

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Hi Commo Baba. As has been said, it sounds like it's not going into 4th. That "ghost shift" you speak of could be the torque convertor lock up (they can lock in 3rd and 4th). If you get out on the highway at 100kph and 2600 RPM, what happens if you shift to 3rd ( with the shifter)? Does the engine speed change? can you feel or hear a distinct change?
But if it was me, I'd be paying a visit to Eddie from Advanced Transmissions in Mitchell.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Hi Commo Baba. As has been said, it sounds like it's not going into 4th. That "ghost shift" you speak of could be the torque convertor lock up (they can lock in 3rd and 4th). If you get out on the highway at 100kph and 2600 RPM, what happens if you shift to 3rd ( with the shifter)? Does the engine speed change? can you feel or hear a distinct change?
But if it was me, I'd be paying a visit to Eddie from Advanced Transmissions in Mitchell.
Thanks for the local input. I'm in Gungahlin so Mitchell is close. As per the post above, I watched the tacho more closely and it did change and drop at each gear change. Didn't drop as much as I might expect into 4th. I did get it to change with a manual shift too.

I don't get out much and don't get to the 100kmh zones. I've been around town and it all works. The engine light doesn't come on unless it runs at 100kmh, so it's not about to explode.

If it's in 4th at 2600rpm at 100kmh it points to either a short diff or the tune sits it high in 4th.
Given that it was stock as a rock when I got it, I think it's the tune that I put in. Only odd thing about that and why it became obvious is the engine light never came on with the original auto gearbox that I recently had replaced.

Still wondering what the rpm in 3rd at 100kmh is. Will have to wait until I'm in a 100kmh zone one day and shift it into 3rd manually.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A tune doesn't change how fast you go at a certain rpm/gear, it can only change what gear you are in. Speed is dictated by rpm and gear ratio's.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
A tune doesn't change how fast you go at a certain rpm/gear, it can only change what gear you are in. Speed is dictated by rpm and gear ratio's.
So what is the answer?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd say you are in 3rd gear.

Using this website, https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear ,entering in the 4l60e transmission ratio's and using the factory size tire and stock diff ratio gives the following results.

1692949035500.png

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.