Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx wagon Wiper motor fuse 20amp blowing without warning

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Wiper motor fuse blowing now, with out warning.
I've unplugged the front wiper motor, new fuse not blown.

Wiper motor gone bad?
Wiper relay?

I have it out, armature looking clean. About to take apart the other part of the motor pivot.

And ideas?

Thanks
Pete

JSVSouth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / WH Statesman
If the fuse only blows when the wiper motor is plugged in, chances are the fault lies somewhere within the motor assembly.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
There's often more than one thing on each fuse, what else does the wiper motor fuse protect and is it perhaps contributing to the problem? Too much draw because there's something wrong with the other thing, maybe? Just thinking outside the box.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Take a look at the earth strap in the plenum over on the other side. It earths the firewall to the body. It could be quite corroded and need replacing. It’s a woven strap.

Have a solid inspection of the plug for corroded terminals.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Thanks for the replys.

Being a wagon I didn't think to check the rear wiper motor.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the issue. Only 1 screw bearly holding the armature body together, and the wire touching the bracket body.
Reassembled it and now it's all working again.

Thanks
Pete

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replys.

Being a wagon I didn't think to check the rear wiper motor.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the issue. Only 1 screw bearly holding the armature body together, and the wire touching the bracket body.
Reassembled it and now it's all working again.

Thanks
Pete
Nice one. And thanks for coming back to share what the outcome was - there's nothing worse than finding a post about the same problem you're having but not finding an answer in it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
My VZ wagon was blowing fuses, intermittently. After changing the wiper stalk, which often fixed things like that but didn't, I decided to check the pump. Noticed it had weep stains so thought, I've got a new seal, I'll swap that while checking the plugs. No, the entire pump motor was full of washer fluid and heavy staining, amazed it work at all. I had to wait and order a pump in, they still sent me a sedan type first, before getting a new genuine pump. All fixed from that point on. So it wasn't so much, or at all, the wiper action but the using of the washers. Most the time the fuse blew it wasn't apparent I was using the washers, but stalk was likely also worn and clumsy hand bashing at it. Wipers would get stuck mid wipe and then blow, it wasn't apparent straight away that the washers were involved so went looking elsewhere. It's at that point you realise just how few of the correct fuses you have on hand for testing!

Last edited:

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's at that point you realise just how few of the correct fuses you have on hand for testing!
I bought a container of 50 mixed fuses or something years ago online for a few dollars and I carry it around in my car. You use some sizes more than others, but it's cheap and handy to just have a bunch of them there.

Edit: Just found the one I bought. 50 fuses for $4.76 or 100 for 6.30. Free shipping on both.

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yep, I did similar, Spent ages trying to find it only to discover they were regular wedge type, not mini. Might be time to get some more, or did I already? lol