Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vxss playing up

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Gidday, I'm after a bit of advice on an issue my car has been having every now and again. Any opinions on where to start looking would be much appreciated cheers.
The car is a vxss 6 speed manual pretty stock apart from CAI and headers it was bought trashed and I'm gradually fixing it up as time and money allow.
Anyway the other day I pulled up at the lights and it was idling smoothly when it just died I managed to get it to the side of the road and tried to restart it it was like it had run out of fuel although there was over half a tank in it. I left it for a few minutes tried again and it started and ran perfectly again. A few ks down the road it did the same thing like it was running out of fuel I stopped left it a few minutes again and it started and ran normally but after a few more ks it did the same thing and died. I got it home left it overnight and since then its been fine. Its done this on 2 or 3 occasions over the past 3 months or so and in between runs perfectly. Ive changed the fuel filter as I thought it may be a blockage but the fact it runs well the rest of the time doesn't seem to add up.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has any idea what could cause it. Sorry for the novel lol just trying to explain it properly. Thanks :)

xDASHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Sounds like it could be either the crank angle sensor or the dfi module.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Ok cheers mate. So if it was the crank angle sensor would it still run ok the rest of the time? Also sometimes if I've been driving start stop around town for a while it'll start missing and backfiring like its running lean but as soon as its been sitting for awhile its fine again it only does this occasionally too I'm not sure if the issues are connected or not. Cheers for the help.

xDASHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Ok cheers mate. So if it was the crank angle sensor would it still run ok the rest of the time? Also sometimes if I've been driving start stop around town for a while it'll start missing and backfiring like its running lean but as soon as its been sitting for awhile its fine again it only does this occasionally too I'm not sure if the issues are connected or not. Cheers for the help.

I'm not an expert by a long shot but I just went through something similar where when my Calais once warmed up it would die occasionally and then once it cooled down a bit would fire up. I was told it was either the crank sensor or the DFI module. So I replaced them and that particular problem stopped. If you check the fault codes you might get a better idea of whats going on.
How To Check Fault Codes VT-VX Commodores - YouTube
The misfire could be related to the crank sensor being faulty or it could be something else like bodgy plugs or leads or even a bad coil or a bad CO2 sensor. It's a process off elimination, but I would start with the crank angle sensor.

Last edited:

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Ok thanks mate will do. Ive done the plugs and leads recently so I'm fairly confident its not them. Was it much of a mission to change it?

xDASHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Yeah you have too pull the harmonic balancer off which is a pain in the ass so I got my mechanic to do it.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Thanks for the input mate I'll give that a crack. Its not fun getting out and pushing with 20 cars behind you tooting lol.

maklaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
I am new for the Holden cars i used to have skyline and had similar problem what you have described..it was MAF sensor i need to clean the actual connectors and resolder them(resolder) i am not sure if this is a correct therm to use to fresh the joint with some hot rod...anyways try this because when car gets warm then its playing up...

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
The CAS for the LS1 engine is up behind the starter motor. Have to remove the starter motor to get to it.