Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vxss playing up

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
The good old CAS and DFI failures are v6 things, LS1s don't have a DFI module and the CAS rarely fails. I'd be looking at the fuel system. Pumps play up when they get hot then work again after cooling down. When you turn the key to ignition (without starting) the pump should run for a couple of seconds to prime the system. Listen for this when it's playing up, if it sounds different to normal then it's probably your pump or the wiring going to it. Try replacing the fuel pump relay as an easy cheap first step.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Sounds very familiar to a incident with my GF VX SS had me searching for and changing things, it ended up been a faulty 02 change them both, use either OEM or NTK (NGK) brand.

To be sure is your exhaust black? get another person to rev your engine while you stand at the back and check for black smoke puffs.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
I am new for the Holden cars i used to have skyline and had similar problem what you have described..it was MAF sensor i need to clean the actual connectors and resolder them(resolder) i am not sure if this is a correct therm to use to fresh the joint with some hot rod...anyways try this because when car gets warm then its playing up...
Ok thanks I was planning on giving it a clean anyway so hopefully it helps.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Sounds very familiar to a incident with my GF VX SS had me searching for and changing things, it ended up been a faulty 02 change them both, use either OEM or NTK (NGK) brand.

To be sure is your exhaust black? get another person to rev your engine while you stand at the back and check for black smoke puffs.
Yep exhaust is pretty black the car does mostly highway ks about 60 per day on average. When its idling its slightly rough and there is a constant vapour from the exaust thats not steam plus a slight unburnt fuel smell too. I'll get those done as well thanks I'd been wondering which brand to get.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
The good old CAS and DFI failures are v6 things, LS1s don't have a DFI module and the CAS rarely fails. I'd be looking at the fuel system. Pumps play up when they get hot then work again after cooling down. When you turn the key to ignition (without starting) the pump should run for a couple of seconds to prime the system. Listen for this when it's playing up, if it sounds different to normal then it's probably your pump or the wiring going to it. Try replacing the fuel pump relay as an easy cheap first step.
Yep I checked that last time and the pump sounded normal I've got a new one to replace it with anyway I'm just not sure about dropping the tank lol I'm trying to do most of the work myself and that's not something I'm looking forward to tackling. I'll do the relay first tho thanks for all the advice its much appreciated.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
dropping the tank is easy as hell, 4 nuts/bolts and its down.

Only issue is the fuel line connectors, they are a bitch to get off.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Fuel pressure regulator???

BOR15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
when it happens again, try releasing the fuel filler cap. You may have a breather problem and be causing a vacuum in the tank.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You can't check LS1 fault codes by bridging pins five and six. You need to use a scan tool such as the Holden Tech2 or equivalent.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Ok sweet. Yep I know what you mean about the connectors I broke one changing the fuel filter lol.