Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXSS Update

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Hey kanga, what size tyres are you running front and back? I just picked up some SSV rims for my VX and i'm unsure what would be suitable. Also, did your set come pre-drilled?

Thanks

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Gday..havent been on here for a while and just happened to see your thread.
When i had the thunder rims the tyres were 245/35/19 with no scrubbing even lowered so you should be good to go. Tyres were Achilles sport 2..ok in dry but
not great in the wet for my liking..
The rims were predrilled otherwise adelaide wheel worx etc will do it.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Gday..havent been on here for a while and just happened to see your thread.
When i had the thunder rims the tyres were 245/35/19 with no scrubbing even lowered so you should be good to go. Tyres were Achilles sport 2..ok in dry but
not great in the wet for my liking..
The rims were predrilled otherwise adelaide wheel worx etc will do it.

+1 same tyre size on my SSV's no scrubbing.. and pretty low.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Not much to report here lads...changed out radiator and thermostat as radiator split open, thats it.. Looking at another car (second car - not getting rid of the VX) - looking at a 2012/2013 WRX
so can have best of both worlds in regards to power delivery and having the wrx being a turbo and manual (which i havent driven a manual in 30 years LOL..)..they are not cheap
still for a low Km item.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good to see you still around Kangy

So more cars to wash with possible Shoebaru

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Subbie now will wait until i sell house and find another with big garage at back a few years down the track as no room for an extra car in our driveway right now.
So update on car..sold the 20 inch wheels and went back to the ve ssv 19 inch wheels this time in all black..new tyres too with 245/35/19 kuhmo ecsta le sport ku31 all round...fantastic tyre...wet conditions doesnt flinch, no road noise, excellent asymetrical tread too..best tyre for $200 each.
Warning though..if you have kyb front struts they can foul your wheels even with factory 48p offset..found this out when i put on the new wheels as tyres just touched the lower spring seat due to kyb having a wider and stronger seat than monroe which i had before...so got out the peen hammer i think its called ( rounded end) and a few swift hits in the spot the tyre was touching which gave me 4mm clearance so no issues with scrubbing on strut now.. didnt damage the spring seat as they are friggin strong.. anyway pics to come of wheels..

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
image_zps50wuvbgr.jpeg

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
new tyres too with 245/35/19 kuhmo ecsta le sport ku31 all round...fantastic tyre...wet conditions doesnt flinch, no road noise, excellent asymetrical tread too..best tyre for $200 each.

I will second this. I have these on the Thunder and the grip in the wet is unbelievable. I had bridgestone before in my old VY SS and it would get lose with the slightest touch on the pedal. These Kumho's however, I'm telling everyone. They a bloody grippy tyre! I have exact same rim/tyre set up as you on mine.