Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Alternator issues and now won't start or unlock.

Juzzy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive series 2
My battery that i had in my car went dead yesterday after 2 - 3 years. before it happened i had abs faults check alternator trac lights on my dash but the car still got home. from my experience i thought this would also be an abs module issue (i had an abs module problem with my old vx) when i got home i chucked a multimeter on the battery which read 14.04v which i thought was relatively normal. then the car wouldn't start the next morning so i went out and got a new battery, after i put the battery in it would then turnover and unlock ect the battery was working fine. still had the ans lights and trac lights ect, but when i put a multimeter on it again it now says its charging at 17.8v which i thought was really high so i put it down to a voltage regulator issue, so i'm going to replace the alternator and hopefully the issues go away, but the problem i have now is that the battery is charged but won't unlock or start anyone know what this could be?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
have you got a battery tester to check the crank amps, sometimes the battery can have plenty of volts but no amps