Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY CALAIS auto headlights staying on

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
Hi there, my VY CALAIS auto headlights sometimes stay on after locking the car, which means I end up with a flat battery. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Have had a slightly different issue with automatic headlights in my VY. One evening I was in the garage, the car was locked and the headlight switch was on auto and the lights just came on all by themself. I had a totally flat battery a few months before I saw this so I suspect that was the cause of that as well. I just don't leave the switch on auto any more which gets around the problem. I can leave them on auto and it works properly but I don't want a flat battery so I don't use the auto function any more.

Ranvens

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais
Mine played up one night, lights didn't auto turn off as well as the stereo etc, turned out to be the door open switch was loose, as I believe it uses that to determine you've left the vehicle.

Legs11dl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Had the same issue with my 5.7 Calais VY.
Stereo turned off and aerial went down etc, BUT headlights sometimes stay ON.
Often fixed by turning key to Ignition on , and then off again,
BUT lending the car to anyone else was a concern.
Even the 2 hour override which was supposed to turn every thing off, still left the headlights ON.

Issue was a Sticky HeadLight relay.
The coil on the relay de-energised, but the contacts were sticking together.
Trust this helps someone else.
Cheers

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
my door switch sometimes doesnt work properly and the radio still keep playing that then leaves the lights on or automatically turn on when it gets dark enough

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
There is a tiny little screw in the door switch, which is the earth for these triggering circuits. Remove the screw, give it a clean up with emery paper or sand paper, if you have nothing else.

If cleaning doesn't work, head down to the local hardware and pickup another...stainless will ensure that this issue no longer happens.

Water affects the screws connection to the body and as a result the corrosive parts of the screw no longer make a good earth for the circuit...

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You might check in the dashboard settings menu and see what the headlight 'delay time to turn off' is set at.