Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy cooling system issue

luckyvt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Thunder SS
Last Saturday the bottom rad hose split. So Sunday I brought a new hose and se coolant, flushed and refilled with the new coolant and bled the system.
I took it for a drive that afternoon and it was fine.

But Monday morning when I got to work I noticed there was some coolant under the car so I opened the bonnet and it was leaking from the cap.
I went and got a new cap and the same thing is happening and now my aftermarket water temp gauge won't go past 70 deg ( dash gauge is normal) and the rad cap isn't hot.

Would it be possible for the neck that the rad cap screws to has worn or cracked and that's causing the leak?
Or a dud cap?

Thanks in advance

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
What psi cap did you buy?
You could get your cooling system pressure tested which will show up any leaks in the radiator, etc.

luckyvt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Thunder SS
It's got 135 kpa stamped on the top. I know where it leaks just don't know if the radiator or the cap is the issue

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
What about the little hose nipple on the side of that bit that leads to the overflow bottle? Is that cracked/broken. If you do need to replace the radiator, you can get a full aluminium unit for about $180 on eBay. The normal plastic end tank crap ones go for about half that so it is worth considering.

luckyvt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Thunder SS
I didn't think of the overflow bit.
But I found the smallest crack along the side of the filler neck so I'll be grabbing a new radiator. Thanks for ya help mate

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
No worries mate.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I heard you're better off not getting the all aluminium China spec radiators....stick with a standard plastic tank Adrad jobbie, mines been going well for almost 4 yrs

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
I've heard/seen reviews from many who said otherwise. Each to their own I guess.