Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy dash lights not working

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Hey guys the last few days when I've gone to drive at night I've noticed that my dash lights aren't on. The cluster works so I can see my speed and odo but the air con, headlight twist backlight and the mode/set lights aren't on. Like the backlight is on BEFORE I turn the headlights on. But when I do it goes off. Is it just a blown fuse or something major I'll have to get an auto leccy to look at?

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Then most like bulbs have blown.

Bulbs have not blown. Did some fiddling last night. If I turn the lights on BEFORE starting the car, the whole dash stays lit up. However if I start the car and THEN turn the lights on, the dash does not light up. Confusing :\

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Checked your dimmer for the dash lights isn't wound back to zero?

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Checked your dimmer for the dash lights isn't wound back to zero?

Tried the dimmer and that seemed to do the trick however they didn't slowly start to come in, just went to full colour. Also tried turning the colour down even more (even though it was black/not working) and it turned them on full colour and then started to go darker. So not sure whether it's a faulty connection or not, but not a big enough of a problem for me to get checked out.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty headlight switch, only cost 45 bucks to replace. It's a bit of a bugger to get out though.

vyhurley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore ute
Tried the dimmer and that seemed to do the trick however they didn't slowly start to come in, just went to full colour. Also tried turning the colour down even more (even though it was black/not working) and it turned them on full colour and then started to go darker. So not sure whether it's a faulty connection or not, but not a big enough of a problem for me to get checked out.
What turned out to be the problem mate I'm having the problem right now

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
What turned out to be the problem mate I'm having the problem right now
It’s been 10yrs and these members have not been here in a while.

Based on what I read the issue was the dimmer and turning it up all the way fixed it enough for the OP to be happy. Last commenter added that they replaced the headlight switch.

Suggesting that you check fuses, fiddle with the dimmer switch, or replace the headlight switch as possible fixes.