Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY drivers seat replacement

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Ok done some searching but cant seem to find exactly what i need to know. I need to replace my drivers seat in my VY S1 Executive no side airbags. Is it just a matter of unbolting the old seat and bolting in the new one? Im reading a lot about seat belt pretensioners and memory modules etc and its getting confusing. I thought it was just a matter of unbolting the seat unplugging the motor that adjusts the seat forwards and backwards. then bolting in the new seat and plugging aforementioned motor in.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I did what you are talking about on a VTII Exec (mums) we pulled the old seat out and plugged the new one in, didn't even need to disconnect battery or go anywhere near the belts.

I can't think why the VY would be different unless airbagged.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Basically make sure you get seats that aren't out of a high level spec car, like Calais or higher or else a bit of wiring will be in order. If it has the same side switch as your car than its a simple unbolt and unplug process. VT-VZ seats all bolt in the same.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
Do the executives have the pyrotechnic seat belt pretensioners ? If so, they are installed on the seatbelt buckle on the side of the seat. I suspect you may end up with an srs error if the ignition is turned on at any stage of the seat being disconnected.

I removed and replaced the seat on my acclaim without issue and it has a side airbag and a pyrotechnic seat belt pretensioner. I left the car battery disconnected before starting the operation though.

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Done and dusted 4 bolts and 2 plugs removed and replaced. To be on the safe side i disconnected battery and life is good again.