Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Fuel Guage Problems

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi everyone,

Just filled my car up tonight with 40 litres of fuel with my fuel tank previously stating that i still had half a tank left.

Now that i've filled the car completely, the fuel guage is reading only at 3/4 of a tank full. Any answers why that would happen? Would it have anything to do with the cold weather or was there a fault witht the fuel sender? (which i'm sure was common with the vx's)

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
VY Series 1? Yeah probably the fuel sender getting stuck.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
A common problem, you're not the only one :)

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
mine did this last month for a full tank said empty for the whole week after i filled up again it seemed to fix itself havnt seen it since

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Me too, my tank had gotten down to just above empty, which is rare for me, and when I filled it up the fuel gauge showed just over half, then gradually came up to full over the next day or so. Has been fine ever since.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
I found it happens on mine if you OVERFILL it, say the bowser clicks off, and you try and go for the extra 2 or 3 litres it'll do it, but if you just stop when it first clicks, it'll be fine. I did that years ago just after i got mine and thought it was suffed, but it never done it again.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
thanks guys. it got me worried that i may have to get it fixed but i've checked the fuel gauge this morning and its slightly elevating to the full line. I think my problem was due to overfilling after the bowser clicked off first.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Well I've had mine for four years now and I ALWAYS fill it up so that I couldn't squeeze in any more, never played up, except when I let it get down to just above empty.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
IIRC the vys were recalled when new due to the fuel sender or something playing up,i know because my mum had a vy as a company car,maybe its to do with that

steve40

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
Yea there was a recall on the vy's for the fuel gauge when they first came out but mine did the same thing a few years ago(i have had it since brand new)so i took it to holden and they put the computer on it and reset the fuel gauge and its been fine ever since and seem to remember there was no charge but i do take my car there all the time.