Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY high fuel consumption fixed

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
ok since i bought my vy over 2 years ago my fuel consumption has progressivly got worse and worse started at about 13l per hundred when i bought it and 2 weeks ago was the worst at 20.9l per hundred always serviced by holdens so i thought bugga this wasnt going to be spending that much on fuel so i thought id start narrowing down on things so the first thing i did was checked pressure in the tyres that didnt fix it much got it down to about 19l per hundred then i changed the air filter wow big difference last week avarage after a full tank was 11.2l per hundred and this week its sitting on 10.9 and no thats not contry driving thats all city driving no open roads at all so just thought id share with people change your air filter cost me $8 for a new air filter and im now saving 9l per hundred thats over $10 per hundred so about $50 a week for me that is HUGE in anyones books

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
well in the two years ive had it havnt done 40k in it yet got it at 142k just hit 170k and no i very well doubt they ever changed the filter but ive started servicing it myself now the extended warranty has ran out but just thought id let people know not to over look something as simple as $8 ive saved the $8 and about $70 more in 2 weeks since i changed it lol

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
how dirty did you old filter look? must of been pretty blocked up for that much difference! do you drive dirt roads??

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
actually didnt look that dirty still whiteish and no dont take a 3inch lowered car on any dirt roads lmfao

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The air filter should be done at 45,000km or 27 onths going by th elog book or sooner in harsh ie dusty conditions. I did my own 135,000km service and the air filter was due which I changed. It had only started to look dirty and was done at the 90,000km service but I remember taking it out and tapping it on the ground at about 120,000km and a whole lot of fine dirt came out of it.
A friend used to have a VR ant it gave him a lot of problems at about 1/2 the filter change interval. At $8 from Holden they are so cheap and easy to change, just check them each service and replace sooner than recommended if need be. At the 135,000 service my fuel consumption was still good, about 10.3 to 11 around town and 7.5 on the highway.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have a K & N filter and I clean it every service, and when I'm servicing my folk's VY I change it every service. Like others have said cheap as hell so why not?

You want an expensive filter, my folk's lawn mower was running rough as hell and wouldn't rev, pulled out filter and was rock hard and obviously buggered. New one was $50 and has a service life of 8 friggin hours WTF! Next time I'm going to butcher thier old car air filter and use that.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
at $8 ill just change mine every 5000km when i change the oil and filter why the hell not on another note thing i should change the plugs and fuel filter?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
at $8 ill just change mine every 5000km when i change the oil and filter why the hell not on another note thing i should change the plugs and fuel filter?

If you can afford it then I say why not?