Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy holden crewman clunking noise in front end

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Good to hear the rack is ok. No problem with te questions, that's what this is for.
Yes it is under that convoluted rubber boot. The only thing I would is do is get another person wiggle the steering wheel and you grab the rackend and boot and see if you can feel a click/clunck/movement.
If it is the problem, take it to a place that specializes in steering and get them to fit a Revised GENUINE HOLDEN parts. Aftermarket is **** Taiwanese Asian quality.
This can be a PITA to do as u have to count the number of turns on the outer side, and count the inner turns. This has to be accurate upon install.
Hope this helps ya. Let us Know how you get on.

The steering rack is definetly not leaking or anything. Sorry for all the questions but is the rack end in that rubber boot thing? Anything I can do under the car to see if it is definetly the culprit?

Warnzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Crewman S Pac.
Good to hear the rack is ok. No problem with te questions, that's what this is for.
Yes it is under that convoluted rubber boot. The only thing I would is do is get another person wiggle the steering wheel and you grab the rackend and boot and see if you can feel a click/clunck/movement.
If it is the problem, take it to a place that specializes in steering and get them to fit a Revised GENUINE HOLDEN parts. Aftermarket is **** Taiwanese Asian quality.
This can be a PITA to do as u have to count the number of turns on the outer side, and count the inner turns. This has to be accurate upon install.

Thanks HSV, Ill get someone under the car over next couple days to do the check. I do know that there is clunck / knock where the steering coloum joins on to the rack but problem is the noise is definetly coming from left side.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica

It's probably better to get this done. If you do it yourself you need to take the rack off the car and support the rack gear because undoing the rack ends on the car will twist the rack and damage it and the pinion shaft where they mesh. Mechanics have a tool that goes into the rack housing that stops the rack gear twisting and can do it on the car, it would only take them about an hour to do both then a wheel allignment.

langy59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ 3.6 Alloytec 6 Speed Manual Ute.
Thanks all for the comments guys! @ Wortus. I actually jacked each individual side up and changed the link pins and made them as tight as possible! So to fit do I need to do it with car not jacked and squeze myself behind the wheel? I got told to jack each side up, take wheel off and change?.

You can do this without jacking or wheel removal. A bit cramped but can be done. also turn the steering full lock one way.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
These sort of fitments are best done with the car up on ramps so that the suspension is sitting at resting height.