Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY-How to change the lights in instrument cluster?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Just wondering, how do you change the lights in the instrument cluster? I really hate that stock green colour and it bugs me every time i drive my baby, I'd really like to have them all white.
Anyone know how to do this? Also where to buy the lights from?
As i dont really want to pay for an auto electrician to put them in if i can help it
cheers

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
hey mate, ur cluster facia has a green film on the back of it and the light bulbs have little green condoms on them. what i did on my old wrx and my old VT was pulled out the cluster, pull it appart (carefully) untwist and remove the lights and pull off the green condoms, once thats done i removed the facia (carefully) and got some light sand paper and sanded the green film off the back of it, while sanding every now and then hold the facia up to a light and see where ul need to keep sanding. Once uve sanded off the green the lights will show white, if u want other colors i colored the back of the facia with a red texta for the red affect. Im unsure how to make ur display screen white thought, all i did was installed a red LED instead of the original bulb, good luck.

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
or you could look up ASR audio!

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Thanks for the help guys! Ive decided to see my auto electrician as im getting a few things wired up by him so hes going to do it for me when i get a bit more $$$
Not a bad idea there D-mac but im not sure that im game enough to be sanding the back of the instrument cluster :p
Do you have a pic of how it looks? Wouldnt mind having a look to see how they turned out

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I got blue through my car done by ASR Audio in the sponsers section. I saw him do it with all the little LEDS. There's no bulbs behind there like VT's and stuff.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Hit ASR up man..it is their specialty

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
VYs have 3225 (or 3216? i forget) SMD LEDs. The facia is clear already, the LEDs are green.