Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II SS Wagon - Manual Gearbox Rattle / Cats / Clutch ? Any thoughts?

Lashtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS WAGON
I have a Manual 2004 VY II SS Wagon with 110ks on it which has got a really odd rattle under load. You don't have to punch it to make the sound, basically being in a gear and hitting a hill between 1000-1500rpm will trigger it and it will be constant. You can make it do it by selecting a low gear and steadily applying the throttle as in the video below. It doesn't matter what gear you are in, and because the car cannot be put under load with the clutch in I can't rule that out either. The car has Pacemaker 4 into 1 extractors and the matching twin 2.5" pacemaker exhaust. First thoughts were collapsed cats, so I gave them a knock with a rubber mallet with no results. I then removed them, they are metal core and appear to be in good condition. I checked the heat shielding and that is stock and that also appears fine.

The sound is defiantly coming from the cat/gearbox area. Any ideas? Maybe a damaged clutch plate / flywheel (not sure if it is still the original)?

Last edited by a moderator:

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Probably wont help but my VY SS made a noise which sounded like it was coming from that area, turned out to be the back exhaust mount had cracked and would tap on its bracket at certain revs, causing said noise.

I have a Manual 2004 VY II SS Wagon with 110ks on it which has got a really odd rattle under load. You don't have to punch it to make the sound, basically being in a gear and hitting a hill between 1000-1500rpm will trigger it and it will be constant. You can make it do it by selecting a low gear and steadily applying the throttle as in the video below. It doesn't matter what gear you are in, and because the car cannot be put under load with the clutch in I can't rule that out either. The car has Pacemaker 4 into 1 extractors and the matching twin 2.5" pacemaker exhaust. First thoughts were collapsed cats, so I gave them a knock with a rubber mallet with no results. I then removed them, they are metal core and appear to be in good condition. I checked the heat shielding and that is stock and that also appears fine.

The sound is defiantly coming from the cat/gearbox area. Any ideas? Maybe a damaged clutch plate / flywheel (not sure if it is still the original)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Does it have an after market clutch? Going from dual mass to single you get a bit of noise

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Ok sorry I just watched the video it doesn't sound like the noise I was talking about

Lashtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS WAGON
Jokerflingo - I have checked the exhaust but will have a look at the hangers/mounts, maybe engine mount....?

ryan101 - Just the standard clutch, cheers anyway

vxxsss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss
i've got the exact same sound in my vx ss and it's driving me nuts, only does it on hot days under light throttle and only while driving, if you free rev the engine it doesn't do it, i've replace the o2 sensors in mine and also the engine oil which made no difference to the sound at all, sounds like its something in the exhaust rattling around like the cat is falling apart, I've got it booked in somewhere on the 17th but im gonna go over the exhaust again on the weekend i'll let you know if I find anything.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Mine has had the same problem since I purchased the car.
Under acceleration - place some downward pressure on the gear knob and see if the rattle disappears.

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Check the hanger next to the gearbox and cat

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
ceramic internal core cats can break apart and leave a sound like a rock in a tin can, when buy cats get metallic core types.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
as above my brothers vy ss also ended up being a broken exhaust mount near the gearbox