Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ls1 check oil light

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Hey guys
Got a check oil light coming up on my car.
Vy ls1. 240k

Chucked the scan tool on it asap and the oil pressure reads about 200kpa +-20 on idle and when driving is between 200 and 300kpa.
Only once it has come on when driving around with the scan tool and it momentarily dropped to 130kpa and then went back to the normal 200-300kpa.

I got a new sensor from ebay thinking it was an ac delco but now thinking it's a fake ad the cost was too cheap.
It was in acdelco packaging but ....
Still having the same issue.
It seems like the light comes on under acceleration from stopping at an intersection and taking off. but goes off just as quick as it starts.
Like it doesn't finish its musical tone and has already disappeared.

No tappet rattle or any other obvious signs of low oil

Oil has been topped right up
Running castrol edge 5w 30.

Any ideas?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What was the part # for the one you purchased ?,

Not sure if the LS1 had a oil level/temp sensor on them,
But the L98, L76 & L77 did, as its located at the bottom of the sump.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Part number 12616646

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
VY SS LS1 just has a pressure sensor behind the manifold. Ideally you want to see around 30psi idle with 10psi per thousand rpm after to about 70-80psi. A sudden momentary drop to a low as 130kpa, I'd be looking at my oil pump, that's not a great sign, what sort of rpm at the time?

Also with 240 original kms, I'd be upping the oil to a 40 weight at least

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The LS1 engines did suffer from oil surge during high acceleration. Along with a large number of other forum members, I used to run Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60 in my VX GTS. Agree with Pullushon, 5W-30 is too light for a high kms car.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
I normally run the castrol edge 10w60 but got 5L of 5w30 for $2 on some supercheap price error a few years back and thought I should use it up.

It's ran 5w 30 for 2 years and 10w 60 before that. changed yearly at under 5000k/yr

Normally around 2000rpm when it gets the check oil light.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Worn engine? Use a higher grade oil
Possible sticky oil pump valve? Flush...maybe....
Possible clogged up oil pickup screen? Flush....maybe

With such high milage I would just roll with a flush and some HPR10 (10W50) and see how that goes

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
cheers, will keep an eye on it and do a flush and thicker oil when I'm due unless it comes on more often. only doing about 10km a day atm.
any preferred flush?
Can I access the oil pickup screen if I drop the sump?
can I drop the sump enough to do it?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
So after doing nothing the oil light hasn't come on for like 2 weeks. I'd just been driving like a grandpa.
So had been trying to get the check oil light this week and nothing.
It only gets me to work and back and is a 5 min drive through town.

Took it out on the open road driving like a grandpa and noticed a slight noise. Had 1 tappet get noisier and noisier. Worst I had heard one, so parked it up and got a lift.
Come back 3 hrs later, started it up and got a little quieter so started limping it home. Once warmed up I decided to do the 4000rpm trick and noise has gone. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/noisy-lifters-ls1.152144/
I can only guess this increases the oil pressure and has more chance of pushing it where it needs to go?

I've had the normal start up lifter noise or when you run it a little low on oil. Also the noisy lifters after a decent drive when it's hot which tells me I'm due for an oil change. (After about 10/11 months) less than 5000km
And once oil is changed its back to near perfect.
But this was loud. Actually had me quite worried. It definately needs an engine overhaul.

The 4000rpm also removed the check Engine light (02 code that i can't seem to fix) for the rest of the trip. But that came back when I pulled up and started idling.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Gave it a service yesterday, new 10w60 Castrol edge oil and a new genuine oil filter. Old oil looked fine. Was dark brown but no different to how it normally is on an oil change.
let it drain out for about an hour before I put the new stuff in.
had it idle for about 5 mintues then took it for a quick drive and the oil light came on under acceleration.....

Is there a possibility some crud has blocked an oil gallery somwhere causing this intermitent low oil pressure?
oil cap and inside the fill hole all looks nice and clean.